Political venting

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Artem256, Jun 1, 2019.

1. KentDorf

KentDorf Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    he might have, i haven't searched online for all of his material, i am sure you can do that yourself
    doesn't mean he's not right

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't much care for the perspective of a soft target.

3. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I never said I wanted to give them more spy power. In fact I said. " they are ALREADY DOING IT,THEY NEED TO CONCENTRATE ON A PARTICULAR AGE GROUP" .THAT ARE DOING THESE SHOOTINGS

axtell343 likes this.
  4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I think more than we realize grew up in such conditions. At my age people did not run to welfare for help,they worked to get their heads above water. They made great memories out of simple things.
    I say and mean this , I would never wish my life be any different. This said other than how hard my mother had it. That is the only thing I wish had been better. It moulded who I am for the good and bad, it's molded who my kids are and I'm content and happy with both.
    I'm pretty sure there are many that have the same view of their past as well.

TJF and ImThere like this.
  5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Here's an idea that will totally tweak many of you...I DO NOT CARE

I wonder how many of these "kids" that actual bought their legal guns to do these horrific crimes had hunting licenses.
    I'll go one better how many like my father had hunting license to buy their guns before committing their crimes? He never hunted
    By now you know where I'm going with this.
    How many non hunting criminals wanting a rifle or shot gun would go through a two day class ahead of time to be allowed to buy a long gun. Now those that hunt do to have permission to use a long gun to hunt., those that have a passion for target shooting would. Even some criminals would,that said it could hinder other mentally unstable people and perhaps long enough for them to be found out first. Of course there are plenty of illegal guns to buy. Though many buy them legally. I'm talking being able to slow down impulses here.
    Though as I type this...it occurs to me we've even screwed that possible hindrance by putting these classes on line instead of in person.

6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    FIFY.
    The perpetrator of nearly every spree and mass shooter event is almost always raised in a fatherless home.

cantexian, fowcbler and Sota like this.
  7. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you have the data, you can see the patterns.

'Broken home' however you want to define that, probably ups that rate. This would be a problematic variable the left would fight...

Add SSRIs and a few other pharmaceuticals...Pharma companies and those (especially legislators invested in, lobbied by or PAC heavy) would fight.

TX dude was apparently an gamer also.

8. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Massive correlation b/t fatherless home and all measures of societal dysfunction- education level, teen pregnancy, addiction, incarceration...and that applies to females raised in fatherless homes as well.
    And it's specific to FATHERLESS homes, not just single parent. Statistically, kids raised solely by their father are much better adjusted than kids raised in a home with no steady father figure.

9. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    People should pay their debts and not get them wiped out and be protected with bankruptcy? Is this what you are suggesting? Meaning if they have to pay because they do not have the safety net they may be more responsible?

10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  11. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I am not saying bankruptcy should be eliminated. In fact, you can't bankruptcy your way out of student loan debt.

I am saying that capping predatory compounding interest rates on unsecured debt is a much more effective, fair, and equitable (yes, even racially equitable) means to 'eliminate' debt than working class peoples' tax dollars going to pay off worthless college degrees for people who won't pay them off themselves. Those savings apply to everyone who has said type of debt, regardless of class, creed, gender, or education.

The debtor would still be paying off the principle and a good chunk of said interest. The credit card companies would still be making money. Bankruptcies and charge-offs would likely decrease substantially. And most importantly, the taxpayers aren't on the hook for any of it.

As the system currently exists, loan sharking is illegal. Credit card companies are simply legal loan sharks. No, they don't physically kneecap the debtor, but they can put liens on and take their stuff. And all the while, the Juice keeps running and they keep getting deeper into debt until they default and lose everything.

The only difference between loan sharks and credit card companies is loan sharks don't have K Street office suites.

Germ likes this.
  12. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    cantexian, virginiashadow and Sota like this.
  13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Most of these shootings are not impulsive. They are planned out months, sometimes years, in advance. They are calculated acts of violence, not crimes of passion.

The unfortunate reality is that no amount of legislation or laws will stop this from happening. People will find ways to get guns, whether it's legally or otherwise. People will find ways around armed security - which can't be in all places at all times. Arming teachers may help, but it won't stop all of it.

The truth is that there is a cost to freedom and the amount of gun ownership that we have in this country. And that cost is human lives. We can try to slow them down, but you will never eliminate them. So long as guns remain in the hands of private citizens, murders will happen.

My son just finished 4th grade this week, and my daughter 2nd grade. The thought of a person entering into their classroom and killing everyone in it makes me sick to my stomach.

Brian Walters, TJF, cantexian and 2 others like this.
  14. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just look around. Every day there are increasing amounts of weirdos in this country. Disrespectful weirdos are multiplying.

15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with all of that. This said, in all the measures as far as taking away gun rights being tossed around. Things we agree won't work. Taking a less restrictive course that won't affect sane legal gun enthusiasts should be offered. I stated that they can always steal or obtain stolen or illegal weapons. They could also do more massive devastating things as well. Things to be honest far worse that do not need to be mentioned. I have grandsons and one just finishing 2grade..his classmate brought pellet gun to class, so believe me this hits home. Giving gun haters an alternative to confiscation of legal guns owned by sane people. Offering hurdles over bans could calm the rhetoric. I can say from experience there are many young people that would like to hunt,up to the pandemic on line gun course, that wouldn't take the 2 day requirement by NYS to get a certificate to purchase a license. Such an in person course to buy a long gun would also give an instructor 2 days of physical observation of pupils. Having an interaction with the people in the course.
    Reasonable options need to be a part of conversation to attempt solutions.
    Society also needs a reversal...THERE ARE NO OUT LETS FOR KIDS ANYMORE. We were provided hang outs. Kid oriented sub shops with pool tables and games. We had neighbourhood baseball and basketball courts with swings, we hand summer youth programs and small amusement parks that didn't cost two arms and a leg. The cops knew where kids would be, parents would keep a sly eye on us. We were allowed to learn how to be around each other as people. The older kids watched over the younger ones. Scuff ups were managed between us. We learned how to just be people. Lawyers / insurance companies took all that away.

dnoodles likes this.
  16. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Evil is not unique to the USA. And no laws are going to drive it from this earth.

Mexico: Arguably Strictest Gun Laws in Western Hemisphere.

Also Mexico:

upload_2022-5-26_15-22-42.png upload_2022-5-26_15-24-43.png upload_2022-5-26_15-25-7.png upload_2022-5-26_15-28-37.png upload_2022-5-26_15-31-36.png

This stuff literally happens every day there.

(went with the thumbnails as they're pretty graphic.)

17. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  18. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  19. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  20. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received: