Poison Ivy

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunter252, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Bowhunter252

Bowhunter252 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alright guys and gals, got a strange question for y'all. Over the past two years I have become highly allergic to poison ivy,oak and sumac. If I get near the vine, it seems like I get it. I live in eastern NC so it's really hard to stay away from until late November. Anyone have a pre woods treatment to keep if off of me? I search the web for a cream but had no luck. I'm even getting it through long pants and shirts. Thanks for any input

Jason

2. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Walk around it ?

3. BOWTECHKID_12

BOWTECHKID_12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The is a old fashion laundry soap that is called fells-naptha if you shower with it after being in the woods it works great. I am also allergic to it and it is the only thing i use... and if you are to get it take the soap and lather it on there into a nice white foam and let it dry. it wont itch and it dries it out nice and fast.

4. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This^^ had it earlier this year. None of the creams worked...but this stuff did. Helped with the itch and to dry it out. Also washed all my clothes in it to get the oil out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

5. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I get poison ivy and am around it at work quite a lot.......so take my advice for what its woryh
    Tecnu pre exposure lotion. Tecnu after exposure liquid soap wash. was with it as soon after contact as possible then shower with it when home
    Also IVY X by coretex its a pre exposure lotion in an aloe gel form. I truly have faith in the IVY X and cleansing after with the tecnu wash.
    The tecnu pre exposure stuff seems to not work as well as IVY X in my opinion

6. Bowhunter252

Bowhunter252 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for some of the replies. Ill try to find some of the stuff mentioned above

Jason

7. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    For some reason I thought that was pretty funny. :tu:

8. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cover your entire body in a mixture of Vaseline, and boiled jewel weed. Make sure to soak your underwear because a lot of blood flows through there and will help to distribute the mixture into the body. Good luck.

9. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The stuff tears me up too. No advice for prevention, other than avoidance. If you do get it again, nothing beats hot water treatments. The idea is to place areas with the rash in as hot of water as you can stand. It will itch like crazy as the histamines kick in, but after they are depleted, the itching drops off dramatically. Alternate hot water treatments with a good anti-itch cream.

10. dprsdhunter

Dislikes Received:
    the Tecnu stuff can be found at some pharmacy's and I have seen it at walmart

The IVY X you will likely have to order. Try a first aid company or even a forestry supply

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am allergic to poison ivy. It got me pretty bad last year. It was my fault. I was hanging a stand in a tree that had it all over it and I had on a short sleeve shirt. As a habit, I NEVER go in the woods unless I am wearing long pants and a long sleeve shirt. I don't care if it is 100 degrees. I do it mostly to keep ticks off me. I have been doing that for YEARS. Some may say it is over kill, but I hate poison ivy, skeeters and ticks. I wear a long sleeve moisture wicking shirt under my long sleeve cotton shirt. I also wear rubber gloves. If you wear only the long sleeve moisture wicking shirt, the poison ivy can still get on you. TRUST ME! Those shirts are porous and it gets to your skin. After you leave the woods, wash EVERYTHING you wore that day and anything that you touched. Even take Clorox wipes and wipe down tools, door handles and your steering wheel. I Hope This Helps!

12. heartstopper

heartstopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had poison ivy all over one year and I mean all over. One thing you shouldn't do is pour bleach on your groin area. Or if you do stand in front of fan that is on high. You can go to the doctor that can give you a shot that will help you not get it so bad.

13. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^I would say dont pour bleach on your groin area is good advise for just about anything!

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I get it bad, and generally just have to be close to it. I'm just getting over a case. Usually they give me a shot and a dose pack, but this time they just gave me a prescription for Prednisone and it has worked really well. I wish I could find a doctor that would just give me a refill because sometimes it takes a couple days to get in and by that time it has spread like wildfire.

I really wish they had some type of preventative shot or treatment to keep you from getting it.

15. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    never got it and never got chiggers and thank god for that lol

16. dprsdhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How have you been lucky enough to have never got chiggers ????????
    You must not taste good to them or something..........;)

17. jakeratt

jakeratt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  18. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not allergic to it :woot: pulled out about 5 pounds it seemed last week by my area. Dawn Dish Detergent is what I have seen used, the soap pulls the oils out of the poison ivy and the small amounts of bleach in it dry up the blistered area.