Poison ivy

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by tacklebox, May 27, 2013.

1. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh ya it's not chiggers. Definitely PI been hittin the Benadryl already between it and the calamine it has almost been tolerable so long as I'm not outside gettin sweaty. But at night it's been brutal. Not sure why it's so much worse at night. I really just want to get it dried up before my lil ones get it.

2. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Lol ....

3. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I get it bad when I get it as well. I get my doc to put me on steroids right away. First time I went to Kansas a few years ago I got it on my junk somehow. I had never acquired poison ivy in November before at home. Did not really notice until we started the ride home. Pulled into a rest stop and I went into the bathroom to look and it was like something was growing off of my manhood. Needless to say that was a miserable 1800 mile drive. Called my doc on the way home and he called me in a prescription to be waiting for me when I pulled into town.

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can not pass it along to others. Once you get it and the oils are in your skin ( usually 8hrs or so after coming into contact) its not transmitable. The puss that comes out is not the actual poision ivy oil's from the plant.

5. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here is the product i use BEFORE i go out in the woods. Just rub it on like lotion and almost 99% of the time i don't get it. Ive actually rubbed poison ivy on pre-treated area's and not gotten it.

Tecnu Extreme Poison Ivy Scrub - Walmart.com

6. Rich71

Rich71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't agree with that. I used to get it much worse than now but 2 years in a row with a round of the steroids has helped me. Now I only get a little spot and it seems to go away in a couple days. BUT, the wife will get it just from touching me. She doesn't even have to get near the plant itself.

7. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Well I certainly hope this is the case... I have heard both so never knew what to believe

8. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Zanfel is the best over the counter but it costs. If you didn't have it in such a sensitive area I'd recommend using bleach. Any time I've gotten it on my hands, arms or even legs I start with bleach. Pour it on a paper towel and wipe it over the spots til they sting. Then rinse off in cool water. Put Benadryl anti-itch lotion on the spots and unless it's a bad case you can have it going away within the week. Bad cases that don't seem to go away, head to the doctor.

9. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    More then likely she would get it from something you touched. Maybe from your clothes from doing laundry. Once you get it and the oil is in your skin. you can not pass it along.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  10. TroyS

TroyS BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I got what I believe was poison oak last year. Red, liquid filled blisters. I had never had it before but it was our first year with a new property that obviously has it. What I learned is that I shouldn't pop them...duh..idiot. That's what I did with every one of them and now I have some small scars from it on my neck, arm and nose. What a pain...

How can exposure be avoided other than "staying away from it". When were clearing areas of brush or downed tree's I'm not worrying about each plant I bump up against.

11. Rich71

Rich71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a good point. Never considered that. All I know is the grief I catch over it.

12. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Man I hear that! my wife wouldnt get near me the first couple days, even went as far to sleep in our daughters room the first couple nights. LOL I sent her a link earlier to a site explaining about the rash itself not being contagious. Hopefully this will ease her mind for both herself and the kiddos. I also read that younger people are most often less likely to get it but over the years especially with multiple exposures your chance of reaction increases. Which may explain why I have never had a problem really. Additionally after seeing some of those pics.... WOW.. I realize I don't have it too terribly bad even considering its sensitive location.

13. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I've only had it one time in my life and I have no idea why because I'm typically not allergic at all. Anyway, I had it, well... in the one worse place than on your a$$. It isn't a story for a public discussion board, but I will tell it at the campground next week :D. steroid shot and a c pack or z pack or something.

14. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never used to get it, until I cut some trees down that had vines all over it. Now I occasionally get it. I usually just scratch the **** out of it until it goes away :lol:

15. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Prednisone is the quickest and best drug for poison Ivey. I get either poison Ivey or poison oak multiple times a year. And it is miserable stuff. It's either let it run its course or demand prednisone from your dr. It's unreal how quick it will dry it and and scab.

16. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The best solution I've found for poison ivy is bleach. If you mix bleach and water and wash it down good it dries up and goes away in a few days. Don't forget to rinse that crap off though. Too much bleach will give you chemical burns too.

17. PK_IN_KC

PK_IN_KC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have gotten it so bad when I was younger that my eyes almost swelled shut. I have gotten wiser and avoid it as much as possible. Take a antihistamine pill and got get a shot of cortisone and this will make it go away quickly.

18. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Clorine will help but not much at this point, I keep a bottle of dawn dish soap in my shower, and use it after every trip to the woods.

19. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    TJ I just got it over the weekend. I think it was from a run I went on the the park but I started on my hand then I touch my face and then it just went down hill from there. This is awful, my face is all swollen. I went to the doc and got some pills last night but they havent really helped yet. I hope that changes quick.

20. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have it too. Going in a bit to get a cortisone shot.

[​IMG]