Poison Arrows!!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Joe Collins, Aug 22, 2015.

1. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You brought up an extremely controversial topic so you should expect some bashing and disagreement.
    And as has been posted prior, having a "poison" to fall back on would only perpetuate poor marksmanship, and then when a
    deer is hit, with what would have been a non lethal wound, very little/no blood trail, and it runs a half mile before the "poison" takes effect, how will you find your deer?
    As you said, this is your first season hunting. Instead of coming across as belligerent on such a topic (there's a reason it's illegal nation wide) when people disagree, try being more receptive to other, more experienced opinions. There is an untold amount of bowhunting experience, knowledge, and information here for the taking.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. Joe Collins

Joe Collins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If it is such a bad idea then why have people been doing it for such a long time across the globe?(By Native Americans, South Americans, and in Assam, Africa, Burma, Malaysia and the Caribbean) Please explain why you think it is a bad idea.

3. Joe Collins

Dislikes Received:
    Fair enough. You've brought up some strong points. I can see why it would be a bad idea now. Thanks for taking the time to explain your view point.

However, I wouldn't exactly call my responses belligerent. If they came across that way then I apologize for it was not my intention. I do not think bashing was warranted in this case. I encourage disagreement 100%, contingent upon sound reasoning. I have no problem entertaining view points different from my own without getting angry. What irks me is when people comment and say 'that's stupid' without explaining why. Imo, that in itself is stupid; not being able to entertain a view point different than your own or give a reason why.

4. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is weird

5. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you live in Africa, Asia or South America and its either kill something to eat or starve to death by all means use poison. However if you live in the U.S. I would follow the laws and forget the poison.

6. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well said ruger. Subsistence hunters don't have the luxury of caring if an animal suffers as it dies, because their lives depend on success. I wonder how many of those subsistence hunters have inadvertently killed themselves with their own poison over the years?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the obvious answer is that they could hunt the archery season rather than just a shorterned gun season.

8. Joe Collins

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_24069096/hunter-says-he-used-poisoned-arrows-years

Check out this article. In the story it was illegal where he lives. I think it's worth noting that the poison he used dropped the animals seconds after hitting, rendering your 'lack of blood trail' point invalid. The judge brought up that it violates the principals of "fair chase". I'm not exactly sure what he means by that. My goal is to kill the deer for it's meat with as little suffering as possible.(without poison) In an optimal scenario I'd like it to hit the ground as soon as I shoot it, not run for a mile hurting with an arrow in it.

I'm not sure how the challenge would be taken away when using poison. You'd still have to be close to it. But with poison it wouldn't have to run [for any given distance] and suffer. This is why I was arguing my original point that it'd be more humane to do it with poison. Is that so illogical?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Genocide, prostitution, slavery, etc. have been practiced across the globe for a long time as well. Just because people have or are doing it, does not legitimize it as a good idea.

In my opinion, it has no place in modern American hunting. If we allow this, we might as allow explosive broadheads. It worked for Rambo. Those deer would be DRT.

"I just put a frag in his cage" :tu:

10. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Oooo, oooo. How about a taser linked broadhead. Incapacitate the deer instantly, and us a bolt gun to finish him off like cattle. :)

11. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  12. Joe Collins

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  13. Joe Collins

Dislikes Received:
    You got me there. It does speak to it's effectiveness, though. If it wasn't more effective at killing an animal. People wouldn't do it.

14. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  15. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    P&Y would probably take years to allow tasered deer to be entered in the books.

16. Joe Collins

Dislikes Received:
    Do you honestly feel that a taser broad head would be the quickest, painless, most humane way to kill a deer?

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What is a lethal dose of meat tenderizer? That would be efficient, shoot a deer recover the tenderized venison.

18. Joe Collins

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe it's because I'm new, but I'm guessing I don't fully grasp the idea of 'fair chase'. My goal is to kill a deer(legally) as quickly and as painlessly as possible to harvest it's meat. I don't want to chase a wounded animal if I can avoid it. I'm not going to hunt so much for the thrill of hunting. I'm going to hunt for the meat, to feed myself and my family. I don't want the deer to suffer any more than it has to.

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is why you practice and also why you take good shots rather than risky shots.

20. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wish drinking heavily last night was the reason I lost brain cells instead of the fact that I read this thread.