Pneumatic airguns for disabled hunters during bow season?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by virginiashadow, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately this is probably what it will come too. First few years will be great for the disabled hunters, and then the states will see the dollar signs and exploit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The arrow is now being used as a long bullet in that airgun. Is there any length requirement for it to be consider an arrow or bolt?

3. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Completely understandable and trust the one that work the system piss me off just as much if not more than you. It is one of those situations where the ones that exploit it give a bad name to the ones that don't. Growing up dad farmed and ran cattle. As soon as harvest was over he then and now go out about 5-6 days a week in the evenings and mornings closer to opener and scout. Then people would say it was easier for him because he shot nice bucks (winning big buck contests in our area big) out of his car window not the fact that he was scouting in the evening so much that he would have mature does and bucks walking within 50 yards of his vehicle. Never chasing deer but basically uses his car as a box blind. Thats where my nerve hitting originates from.

w33kender likes this.
  4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anything over a inch.

5. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Haha. Okay so i where this is headed. High powered air guns shooting 1 1/16 of an inch “arrows” lol

6. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think there are many ways to look at this. What is the overall goal? Kill as many deer as possible? Grow trophy deer? Spend time in the woods? Tradition? There are many many many sub factors for this argument.

Should we take the liberal approach and allow everyone to kill a deer as easily as possible? Or are we trying to make it sporting and give the deer an equal chance?

One could say we’re all hunters on the same team.

One could say crossbows make it easier for weekend warriors to lay waste to deer herds. Make it easier for sloppy hunters to wound deer.

One could say an airbow is simply a gun.

One could say we need to make provisions for people who can’t enjoy the woods like able bodied men can.

One could say a lot of the hunters out there are dishonest, shoot over property lines, steal cameras, use party tags where illegal and “lie” about bad shoulders to justify crossbow use.

I could go on and on and on.

My perfect world? Upright bows that have to be held back till November 15th. Then crossbows for the rest of the season. If your truly disabled then you can use crossbows throughout. Airbow can be used for regular firearms season. Life’s not fair and we can’t make it fair for everyone but we can try to meet in the middle sometimes when appropriate.

airenlow and Swamp Stalker like this.
  7. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hope your ol' Dad keeps scouting and keeps piling them up.

Again, please accept my apology. I let the bad apples in the barrel get my attention far too often.

8. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No.

Unless you want to open up bow season for disabled hunters so they can use any weapon and spend more time in the woods. If that is your stance, fine, but It is a gun, not a bow. Nothing to do with elitism or selfishness, but it has to do with the actual mechanics of the weapon.

We can argue the differences in a longbow, recurve, compound and crossbow. Very different weapons and difficulty or lack there of to become proficient in their use, but at least they all do have one thing in common in that the weapon generates its power through the weapon being “bowed” in some fashion. Not true with an air gun.. or air bow, or whatever name you want to try to correlate with it for marketing purposes.

9. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    True that.

Ethically I’m glad not everyone shoots a recurve, can you imagine the number of wounded deer we would have in the woods? That’s why the compound bow is king of bow season.

Crossbow in my opinion is just a gun with a string but we won’t get into that.

10. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No hard feelings, I accept, I just like to point out that all of them don't use the system. I knew where you're coming from, disabled covers a vast majority of people from the guy who had a "back injury" at work 20 years ago and hasn't worked since (bad apples/bottom feeders) to the ones who can't even care for themselves. I've let the bad apples ruin a thing a time or two myself.