Plowing and spraying

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Englishman, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Englishman

Englishman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so this is my 1st year doing a food plot, 2 weeks ago I cut down 1/4a in the woods then sprayed with round up and most of it has died. I just got myself the groundhog max and I am planing on plowing this weekend. So my question is since I won't be planting the seeds till mid- late August is it worth me keep going bk every other week to spray and plow. I was thinking if I plowed 1 week then spayed the following week to kill any new groth and keep doing this till the end of July. Would this just be a waste of my time or will it make a big differance later on with weed control?? Also when should I be adding the fertilizer and lime?? Thanx in advance.

2. trvsmarine

trvsmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Add the fertilizer and lime before you disk. That way its in the soil not on top of the soil. If you are disking to early I guess I would say ya. I am disking next weekend, then I am going to wait 2 weeks, go back and spray. Then when the next rain comes I will put down the seeds. Right around first week of july. Now that may be a tad early for fall food plots, but I would rather be early than late. I also have a groundhog max, i have five 1/4 acre plots to do, let me know how yours turns out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

3. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What you will do is kill off a lot of the weed seeds that are already there in the soil and will likely germinate after your initial disking. Is it too much? Not if you have the time to do it. You could get away with waiting a few weeks, spray, return a couple weeks later and disc. Repeat if you have the time and you'll have a great seed bed for planting. I'm like trvsmarine, I'd rather plant a fall plot a little early than too late. The month of August can be brutal where we put our plots in Ohio and if they don't have a good start they tend to die off pretty good.

4. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You got the right idea by getting a handle on weeds for sure.

I would spread the lime down and work it in as soon as you can. I would fertilize the last time you disk.

As far as a method- I would go in there now and spread the lime and work that in and get used to how the groundhog max works. Come back in a few weeks and spray what ever new weeds are there. Few ways of going about it. But after a couple times spraying/disking you should have a handle on the weeds.

Keep us updated.