Plot and property improvement

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Indianabowhunter12, Apr 10, 2017.

1. MoBuckChaser

MoBuckChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Formulation for a hand held or low pressure sprayer requires a lot more water and product to be able to drench the target plant for good coverage for an effective kill.

A Crop sprayer that a farmer would use with higher pressure, requires a lot less volume of water for proper coverage. Most farmers are using 10-20 gal per acre.

copperhead likes this.
  2. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I understand that. I suppose off brand glyphosate is assumed to be sprayed out of ATV sprayers and hand sprayers, not AG when looking at that specific label.

Still seems high though.

3. MoBuckChaser

Dislikes Received:
    Off Brand? Do You mean generic, verses name brand?

We sell both, and both can be effective when used properly. 4lb or 5 lb glyphosate products, name brand or generic, can be used on target weeds listed on the label. The big difference is some products have inferior surfactants and different types of acids in them. Those items can make a huge difference. Of course the labels, nor the MSDS sheets don't tell you the amounts of surfactants that are in each product. Trial and error is sometimes the only way guys find out what works best. Not all Glyphosate's on the market are the same, be aware!

greatwhitehunter3 likes this.
  4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Gentlemen, I know Mo is blunt and comes off as abrasive but I highly suggest you listen to what he says. The man knows what he is talking about. Not only from a small scale food plot perspective but a high level farming operations perspective. This forum is a better place with him here. That is my advice for the day.

MoBuckChaser and copperhead like this.
  5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok not to hijack this but I have a 15 gallon sprayer or a 4 gallon backpack sprayer. Hauling 147 gallons of water is not gonna happen. So whats my viable options. Most of my plots in the past have been 1/4 acre or less and filling the backpack sprayer twice does well there but I would like to go bigger of course, up to an acre.

6. MoBuckChaser

Dislikes Received:
    Abrasive.......ME?

Bahahahahahahahaha! I guess type A's are!

Too Funny!

BJE80 likes this.
  7. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes you, you old fart. LOL

MoBuckChaser likes this.
  8. MoBuckChaser

Dislikes Received:
    1 acre food plot and not knowing your weeds, you can try 15 gal water per acre with 2 quarts of glyphosate plus AMS and see how she works. Lots of farmers do still run that route even though it's not recommended by me! Good luck!

copperhead likes this.
  9. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:

What exactly are you trying to prove? I've been questioning the ridiculous high rate of water the entire time, and now you tell him to do what I have been saying 'even though it's not recommended by me' yet a lot of farmers are doing it even though yesterday farmers and plotters were totally different?

10. MoBuckChaser

Dislikes Received:
    What am I trying to prove? Not following you.

If you want to spray and have the best luck possible follow the label instructions, for the type of weeds you have, and the height they are at. If you want to take a guess at it, do what you guys want. 2 quarts of Glyphosate and 15 gals of water with AMS is still being used by farmers. But we now have about 30 different glyphosate resistant weeds because of that practice, and it will only get worse. It dont matter to me if your weeds die or not!

I have already explained it very well. Its pretty simple.

11. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:

Let's just agree to disagree. There are 30,000 members on here and there's probably 500 different recommendations that would come from that group. None being 100% right or wrong.

I sent you a PM this morning, we can talk on there. Sorry to the OP for cluttering this thread with this crap.

12. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I personally don't see this discussion as crap. I think Mo is bringing to light something that most food plotters and even some farmers don't know about.

13. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Which would be what?

14. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Misapplication of Gly

15. MoBuckChaser

Dislikes Received:
    Agree to disagree about what, or on what? I am not disagreeing with anyone. If 500 people want to spray their own way, go for it!

I would do what is recommended on the label, the info is on it for trying to get you the best kill possible. Its pretty simple if a guys follows the label.

16. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Three labels were brought up in this thread and all three labels were correctly read by said poster. I did make a bigger deal in the beginning about the 3-5 quart which I apologize for after looking at the glystar label, but the label I posted (Roundup Powermax) has 0.7-2 qts. Big difference in labels. To repeatedly say I'm not reading labels correctly is simply not true. I may be wet behind the ears in comparison to some but I've read just about all the major herbicides labels that are out there and follow them. As far as tall grass in the original post, no one should be spraying 3 foot tall grass to begin with. Yes resistance came from half assing rates, but it also came from spraying weeds that are too tall. Grass you can get away with applying to slightly taller plants, but everything else should be sprayed 4" or less to have wanted efficacy.

17. MoBuckChaser

Dislikes Received:
    A label for Monsanto's PowerMax that is a 5lb product is going to be different than a 4lb product like Glystar Plus. They have different amounts of Glyphosate Acid in them. Thus they have different amount recommendations for each product to kill your target weeds. That is why they have different labels. And why I say always read the label of the product a guy is using. Since a 4lb product is around $10/gallon and and a 5lb product is around $17/gallon its important to use the correct amount of product that is listed on the label for your target weeds, so it will work properly and your not wasting product at the same time.

The original poster said he wanted to spray tall grass. Probably off label. so it may require 5 quarts to get them killed, might not get them killed even with 10 quarts of product, which would be more than is allowed to use in a year. It doesn't matter what he does or anyone else. The label is the rule if you want to do it correctly to have the best chance possible of killing your target weeds!

BJE80 likes this.
  18. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Right. And that's why I said a time or two that I wasn't referring to 41%.

Good discussion; if anything comes from this, which we all agree on - read the label!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk