Playing the wind?

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by quickstick, Oct 26, 2017.

1. quickstick

quickstick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’d like some honest opinions how North east hunters play the wind. My area in Up State NY along the flat part of PA ( Broome Co, if you’re familiar with it). It’s a hilly area, not mountains, but literally the wind swirls as much as 180’ multiple time during a sit. I don’t have the luxury of flat lands or agricultural fields like the BHOD staff.

Hunting the NE is much different as many of you know. Without a concentrated area of a food source, our deer just browse and makes predicting their movements very difficult. Add in the swirling winds, even though I try to use scent control, still makes it hard.

Appreciate your thoughts or reference to any articles / books that could assist my efforts. Thanks

2. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Food sources are everywhere. It doesn't always have to be Ag, beechnuts, walnuts, Acorns (especially outcrops of white oak). If you can find adequate bedding & a water source, this should be sufficient.
    As for your wind problem, I experience similar shifts in wind on my lease and another property I hunt in the Berkshires in MA. Depending on the size of your hill/mountain, these will influence the wind. In the mornings the warm air will rise and move up the mountain, in the afternoons, the opposite happens. So technically even if there is no wind, the air will be forced either way depending on temperature and time of day. It takes time to figure out, but my advice is to keep a wind checker with you and consistently check your wind from the stand.
    Being in these conditions, I also try to get as high up in my stand as I can depending on the topography of the area.
    Best of luck! I hope this makes some sense and that it helps.

3. MikeK

MikeK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I here ya. I hunt Potter Co. in Northern Pa. and have the same problem. My set up is 30 yds off the top logging road and 60 -70 yds off to my right is a ravine. Never get one constant wind direction. Here's what I do. Put out enough scent anywhere from 20-35 yds away in different areas. My stand is 16 -20 ft off the ground. Once I'm in the stand I will spray down again or even drop some doe urine on my boots or the tree I'm in to help out. Seems to work pretty well for me. Don't want to give up the spot cause of the wind. I've grunted several bucks in coming down the point on the other side of the ravine and always see something traveling the logging road.

4. Smitty0220

Smitty0220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Being in RI and near the ocean, I can feel your pain. I've actually had hunting days when the wind actually came from all four directions at some point during the hunt. There is no way to account for that kind of thing. I try find a location where the majority of the wind will take my scent out over a river, ravine or whatever. The rest is in the hands of Mother Nature. You can't have it perfect every time and you will spook deer. Do what you can with your particular situation and location. Learn how the wind effects things in the area where you hunt. Those milk weed things are incredible for seeing what happens each and every time you go out. After a while, you will learn what happens and where you scent goes for the prevailing wind. Hunt and have fun and don't get too crazy worrying about things you have little control over. Just my 2 cents!

5. quickstick

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you & it does make sense.

I’m working on getting my stands higher to beat the wind, but a little height shy. I’ve had 3 falls from stands. VERY fortunate no serious injuries and for that matter I am still alive. Just last week I fell nearly 20 feet d/t a step in a permanent stand let loose. My brother & I had checked them all 3 weeks ago. I have HSS harnesses & life lines in all my sets except that one of course.

Went out last eve to a set loaded with acorns & I haven’t been in it this yr. The turkeys have had more than their fill and I was able to get a shoot off at one. Missed but it was dang close. Thought it was a 30 yd shoot but ranged it after & was 35. Would have been a dead deer! But I would take that far a shot on a deer. Good luck to you too!

Kobrakys likes this.
  6. quickstick

Dislikes Received:
    Funny you should mention putting some scent on the tree as I did just that last night. I didn’t see any deer but as the rut ramps up I think this will be a great plan. Glad to know it works for you as this gives me more confidence in continuing this practic. Thanks!