Planting Soybeans in August

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by w1ckstar, Jul 10, 2017.

1. w1ckstar

w1ckstar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last week I received a bag of round-up ready soybeans from my neighbor. Would it be safe to plant them the beginning of August with my other plots or should I just wait until next spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where are you located? If all you are planting is one bag it won't planting much of an area. You could mix it in with your fall planting knowing the deer will eat it to the ground. You need at least two acres to have a chance to get it up. If you keep it until next spring some of it will go bad. It needs to be stored in a dry cool spot. Living in the south I would go ahead and mix it with my fall crops. The beans will get them coming in quick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

copperhead likes this.
  3. w1ckstar

w1ckstar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am located in central WI, the plot is 1/2 acre that receives a lot of sun, I plan on fencing some off to keep the browse pressure down

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on what you expect out of them. That far north they likely won't make pods (I'm not sure and it depends on the group of bean I guess) but they would provide good browse until hard frost.
    I'm finishing up planting beans now on my last 50 acres after wheat but I'm a long ways south of you and an early frost would still suck.

5. w1ckstar

w1ckstar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well since they were free I don't have to much to lose, I'll just plant them and keep updating what happens

copperhead likes this.
  6. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good move.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All you can do is try. They'll hang around until the killin' frost.
    If you drill them they'll cover an acre. If you broadcast them, not that much. If you are sure they are new seeds, you won't notice the difference btw germination from this fall until next spring.
    The decision is totally yours.

8. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If a person was to throw some soybeans in a mix, say end of August....Would the deer even eat on the plants at all, or do they wait till the pods form......Just wondering, cause around here in my Part of Va. we don't usually get a killing frost until the end of October first of November......If they will eat em, I think that would be something good to throw in a mix.....if your areas weather is warm enough....

9. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you are going to plant this year i would plant them asap. Soybeans are very susceptible to frost so you would want them to get as much growing time in as possible.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The great thing about soybeans is how long the can provide forage. The deer start nipping mine as soon as the pop up and continue all the way until the brown down phase of the plant. They pretty much drop them like a bad habit for a couple weeks while the leaves fall off and the bean hardens. Then they start hitting the pods and will continue to do so until I brush hog them down in March.

Most likely your beans won't ever make it to pod out, but having green soybeans late in the year could be really good.

copperhead likes this.
  11. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have planted in August several times in NC and Va. They were mixed in with other stuff like oats and winter wheat and/or clover. I was mainly using beans as a cover crop. The deer will eat them but I have never had them produce pods when planting that late. Mostly because they get mowed by the deer. You need about 90 days to get pods. The deer will certainly hit the plant before pods come out. They usually don't start hitting the pods until late fall or after the acorns are gone for me.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Creeks likes this.
  12. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just disked in some beans today. I then spread turnip seed over the top of them. Never planted beans with turnips before so it should be interesting to see what grows.

13. w1ckstar

w1ckstar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That sounds like a good idea, since the beans probably won't form pods