Planting late season in zone 8

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Buckwounder, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Buckwounder

Buckwounder Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We are trying a no till planting system on a few of our food plots this year. Anyone have experience with planting cereal grains after fall? Or a no till planting schedule for zone 8?
    I would ultimately like to reseed in spring for our summer crop while laying down the pre-mature cereal grasses.
    I’m not a farmer but we are willing to put in the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What part of zone 8? I also hunt there and when it comes to no till I like penatrator radishes. They grow on anything and create voids in the Earth making it easier next year.

Buckwounder likes this.
  3. Buckwounder

Buckwounder Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Marengo county AL.

4. Matthew Bolt

Matthew Bolt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been following Jeff Sturgis's 'No till food plots'. He recommends 150/200 lbs/acre of rye grass, and maybe mix with 20/30 lbs/acre of brassicas (or clover) as well, or on the side, for fall plots. Then when spring comes back around spread 150/200 lbs/acre of buckwheat on top of the rye grass then cultipack that down. No tilling involved. If you do not have a cultipacker you can run the seed over with atv/truck to get good seed to soil contact. Also, you can plant tillage radishs every couple years to naturally till up soil and keep from being so compact. Good luck.

Buckwounder likes this.