Planting advice

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Junior Treehopper, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Junior Treehopper

Junior Treehopper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys it is Treehopper posting on Jr's I Pad. The logging on our property got started late because of the heavy early summer rains. Two new plots were just bulldozed this week. My mom has her surgery this week so I won't be doing any plot work after Wednesday this year with taking care of her and dad.

Is there anything I can just broadcast over the ground that was just dozed. I was contemplating a forage oat and winter wheat mix but was not sure if it will work.

I know that I need to do soil test and better soil prep but that is not in the cards this year, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for any help or advice.

Dean

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, those will work...just seed them extra heavy if you can afford it. Probably have to wait for a rain to germinate but a lot of it will do fine. Broadcast rates are generally higher than drilling because of lower germination rates this way but it will work. Be better if you throw some generic fertilizer in there too...triple 13 or triple 19 or whatever is handy. Turnips will also grow that way.

Also, if you want to get fancy...several of the plot seed companies have mixtures bagged for this type thing. They are usually called a no-plow or something similar...I think they all have one that would apply.

Good luck, best wishes to you and your folks!

3. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    a few options.= Yes you could just broadcast some brassicas over the top and pray for rain. Winter rye/oats/wheat could work depending on your local bird/turkey population.

Best bet would be to broadcast your fertilizer and seeds (oats/wheat/whatever you decide) Then take something and drag it around with your four wheeler to lightly cover the seeds.

How big of a area are we talking and what equipment you have to work with?

4. Junior Treehopper

Junior Treehopper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The areas are bot about 50 yards by 25 yards one is V shaped the othe is kidney shaped. I have a tractor and ATV as well as a drag. I am really against it time wise that is the main issue. I will pick up some 19 19 19 today.

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It'll take you longer to get the atv and drag there than to actually drag the seed in...will work either way but better with a drag over it if it's clean enough.

6. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice, heading out w the ATV and a crude drag tonight to get them planted and in.