Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Pistol Talk

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BigPhil_H, Jun 23, 2015.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    More sigs come with safeties than glocks have :) *had to

2. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glock safeties are a joke. They aren't safeties at all. My 6 month old could pull the trigger if I gave him the chance. It's one of the main reasons I'm going to eventually get rid of my G4G23 and go back to FNH.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just about any 6 year old could disengage a safety. The trigger safety makes it so you have to purposely pull the trigger for it to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pulling a trigger is easy for any child as is taking off a safety. But they are less likely to understand a manual safety being there if they've never seen it unlike a trigger.

I'd rather have one extra actually safety step to prevent any accidents then rely on a weak concept such as a trigger safety.

5. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Very true but my safety is me putting my guns away from my kids. They don't handle them not have a chance to handle them.best safety on earth.

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Glock 30. It is a 45cal 10 +1. I got the Clip Extender that give me an extra space for my pinky finger. It is a great Conceal Carry weapon.

[​IMG]

7. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Which one doesn't fit in the group? :)

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know I know. The Bluetooth ear piece. I snapped that pic for another thread a few months back.

9. cg2737

cg2737 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My EDC goes between G43 and XDS 45 ACP. They both conceal extremely well and function flawlessly.

10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Okay fellas, the safety discussion has opened up. Here's my take, and it is what I share with customers coming into the range/shop.

I personally stay away from my own opinions unless they specifically ask my personal opinion.

(I personally don't want safeties. They by their nature can create dependence on them, and I especially think new shooters should never do that. Would it make a difference if my guns had a safety on how I manipulate them, no (atleast I don't think so) because I have been conditioned to treat each gun I handle as if it is loaded; even if it's been clear checked before being handed to me, followed by a personal clear check...)

When asked a recommendation or my thoughts though I lay it out this way:

Advantages to no safeties:

-Most day to day gun owners aren't highly trained to act under high stress situations. Sure a lot of us practice drawing or go to the range and shoot enough that muscle memory of the actual shot will take over should the need arise however, will you remember to disengage the safety?

-Less things on the gun that can affect it's functionality. The more parts, blocks, springs and such you put in a gun...the more things hold the potential of breaking and affecting the functioning of the gun. Is this a low chance, absolutely, but it is undeniable.

-Touched on before, no safeties in a way forces you to rely more upon the BIGGEST two; your trigger finger control and you head. No gun, EVER created will fire a round if you keep both of those things under control.

Now the advantages to HAVING a safety:

-Gives some owners a sense of comfort knowing anyone touching it has to be familiar with guns and know the safety needs disengaged prior to being able to shoot. This for some parents is a big factor...however having a safety shouldn't be factor in the decision of how you store or keep your firearms in the house should their be kids.

-A perceived sense of being safer...by the general public. Yup, not only do some of the owners believe their "safer" the general public does too...and that isn't a terrible thing.

In the end one must get what THEY feel most comfortable with...and if not a safety fan, getting a gun with a safety and leaving it disengaged is always an option. However, if someone desires a gun with a safety than I push them to get a gun with a safety or multiple if it makes them happy, an unhappy gun owner is not going to practice and that is the most important step in gun ownership.

But ragging on "x" brand or "y" brand because they are loaded or vacant of safeties is just making noise with nothing being stated. It happens all the time at the shop, customer "observer" tries butting in with their opinion to customer "buying" who may be a novice or first time buyer and now they are questioning everything they'd decided.

In the end your FN or Ruger isn't any safer than my Glock just because of an additional safety...each gun shares the two most important safeties their are; trigger finger control and our heads.

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I mean zero offense but judging a gun's "safeness" based on a scenario where you hand a 6 month old a gun seems a little off base.

12. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wasn't basing it off a scenario where you hand a 6 month old a gun. My point was that the lil lever on the trigger doesn't stop anyone from pulling the trigger. You don't have to be strong or know what you're doing to get the trigger pulled. With a safety they at least have to switch it off for the trigger to work.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

13. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Very well put!

14. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone have any experience or opinion about the Ruger Vaquero single-action pistols in either .357 or .45 caliber. I looked at one today and it seemed pretty nice.

15. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a vaquero in 44 mag. That's one of the few guns I've ever sold. Lol

That hogleg with magnum rounds was too much for me. Wasn't a huge fan of the fixed sights either.

16. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    In the event that we all wanted to be honest about what would happen in the event someone was able to break into your house without you knowing... you would be a helluva lot better off with a can on bear spray in the drawer of your nightstand than a pistol. I'm not saying the pistol shouldn't be right next to it and occupying the other hand but don't kid yourself. If we were all as half as good as we think we are, no intruder would ever make it past the threshold.

If you want a fun exercise, do this...

Place an extremely unloaded, no magazine and empty chambered handgun in the nightstand drawer or wherever your "spot" happens to be, better yet... use an air soft gun. After you're fast asleep have your spouse try to creep into your house and bedroom and see who gets shot first. I guarantee, if you're the sleeper... you're WAY better off with the bear spray first. :D

17. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mine isn't a Vaquero, but I have a Bisley in .45 Colt. They are both variations of the Blackhawks single action. Bisleys are one of the few guns that can take full strength loads of .45. I don't hunt with a gun much anymore but when I do it's what I tend to carry. Mine has been a great gun.

[​IMG]

18. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Bisley is a real nice shooting iron. I'm just looking for a no nonsense pistol to carry in northern British Columbia.

19. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Actually a lot of self defense courses for women will tell them to keep a can of wasp spray at their bed stand. With a consistent pattern and the ability to shoot up to 50 feet it is a great defense tool.