Picked up a new Hoyt Alphaburner...WOW, I'm very impressed!!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by OHbowhntr, May 25, 2012.

1. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Got the new Alphaburner yesterday, and I'm quite impressed with this bow. Smoother than I expected, almost completely shock-free, and damn that thing is fast for what it's set-up for. I have it set up at 55# and 29", and it punched one of my 410gr arrows so it stuck through the backside of my Morrell Cube target!!! Even my FAST 70# bows didn't do that with my 450'ish gr arrows. Had it sighted in and shooting nice in about 30 shots, stuck a pair of arrows damned near on top of each other at 33yds, and decided that I'd put it away for the day.... I can see this bow being something I really like, especially being this fast seemingly at this low of poundage... Not nearly as smooth as my AM35 w/ the Z3's on it, but nearly as smooth as the standard AM35....

I can see this being a nice lower poundage option to get similar energy out of to my slower older 70# bows that were 20-25fps slower by IBO rating, but still a very capable bow kinetic energy and momentum wise. But it looks like I'll need to be shooting a .340 spine just to sneak it up to 60-61#.

2. Copehunt

Copehunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! And also a question; how many bows do you own?

3. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Too many.... :D I have a half dozen Hoyts, a Bowtech, and a pair of Brownings. The Alphaburner is definitely the FASTEST of the bunch though, with a much more smooth draw cycle than I expected. I need to get my chrono out and tinker and see where its at with some different arrows to size up it's KE potential, but I have no doubts that I should easily be able to get 70+ ft/# out of it at 58# or so, which would make it a pretty potent choice for about anything I might be inclined to hunt.

4. b0nec0llect0r

b0nec0llect0r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Alphaburner and the Vector Turbo are the fastest two bows Hoyt makes. Both of their IBO speeds are 340fps, but I've heard they are a little faster than that. Hoyt is known for being faster than they put out to be. The AB is a great bow man I'm glad you like it.

5. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    The bow is a pretty damned nice shooter.... I'm just very surprised how little hand shock there is, especially after I put one of my customized stabs on it, and shot it a little more.... I need to have the peep re-aligned now that I've put about 100shots through it, and I cranked it up to 58#, and still feels very smooth to draw, so we'll see where I end up with it. I cranked tight at 64#, even though it's a 50-60# bow, so I have some more "ooomph" I can put in it, but it seems VERY FAST in comparison with what I've been shooting in the Alphamax35's I have, even though it's a few pounds lighter.

6. Hungry Horse

Hungry Horse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello Doug, Congratulation on your new bow purchase and your happiness with it's performance. Looks like you are recovering well from your injury. Glad to see that. I hope you are still planning your Colo elk hunt this fall, but as you well know many places in Colo are burning or have burned at this time. Where was your planned hunt ? Continued success with your recovery and your elk hunts. HH in Pa [email protected]