Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Philly Cheesesteak

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Lester, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I havent had a real Philly Cheesesteak for a LONG time! Usually I dont even order one if I see it on the menu because I know how it is going to turn out. Most of the time in the Midwest it says Philly Cheesesteak and the description is thinly slice roast beef with swiss cheese. That isn't a F N cheesesteak that is a roast beef sandwich! I got talked into driving way out of the way for the "best cheesesteak ever" I knew as soon as I saw the menu I should have ordered the Italian beef or a Chicago dog. But I did it anyway, as soon as I bit into the roll it was already over. That was just garbage and if they ever ate a cheesesteak in Philly they would never name it that.

Anyone ever get a really good Philly cheesesteak outside of Philly or the Jersey shore?

2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'm lucky to be an hour from Philly and the jersey shore. But I know what you mean, outside of this area I have yet to find one that even comes close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm trying to figure out why Phillys cheesesteaks are so good... And why cant others make them as good!

100% agree with Tom. Around here if you see 'Philly Cheese" you immediately order something else.

4. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It isn't just the cheesesteak's...I couldn't order pizza for years. I had to forget what pizza is supposed to taste like before I could eat Minnesota pizza :evilgrin:

5. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I make mine with sliced sirloin. The cheese sauce I make is 2 tbsp. Butter then add 1 tbsp flour and whisk the hell out of it. Add 1 11/2 cups of milk, 1/2 cup of heavy cream and keep whisking. Then add in 1 cup of provolone,(shredded) 1/2 cup of Swiss ( shredded) and just a touch of asiago... put the meat in with mushrooms, bell peppers, onion 2 cloves of garlic and 1 pepperocini pepper and a little dales sauce on top of a nice fresh hoagie or ciabatta bread bun and you have perfection. Make your tongue slap your brains out. Made them for the little lady the other night and she loved them.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  6. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I was in the Navy and lived in the Norfolk area, there was one place that was authentic. I can still remember coming back from my first cruise in 87 and a couple of other guys from Philly told me that they were going to take me out to a little slice of home,
    Philly Style Steaks & Subs. When I saw the name of the place, I had my doubts due to it being "Philly Style" and using the word "sub" instead of Hoagie. Well, my doubts were unfounded as it was the real deal. They were Philly transplants that started the place and they had great cheesesteaks and Italian hoagies. They are still there today, on Tidewater Drive...not far from the base.

7. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like food.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure I would call you lucky :busted:

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There's a pretty sold hole in the wall that we stumble into in Albert Lea one time called Jake's Pizza. We've stopped a couple times since and it's been good every time.

10. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I'd agree with that, would much rather live in the Midwest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Holy cow I am hungry now!

12. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've only ever had a "west coast" cheese steak. Probably not the real thing but if I get back there someday, it's on my list! Although the recipe above may have to get put in my cupboard! Dang that sounds good!