Phil Robertson

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MnHunterr, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I 100% agree that "good" is not a birthright and is a learned behavior.

No idea why you think atheists, or liberals/conservatives, would believe otherwise?

2. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Now you are getting somewhere...

3. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Romans 1:17-2:11New Living Translation (NLT)
    17 This Good News tells us how God makes us right in his sight. This is accomplished from start to finish by faith. As the Scriptures say, “It is through faith that a righteous person has life.”[a]

God’s Anger at Sin
    18 But God shows his anger from heaven against all sinful, wicked people who suppress the truth by their wickedness. 19 They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them. 20 For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.

21 Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused. 22 Claiming to be wise, they instead became utter fools. 23 And instead of worshiping the glorious, ever-living God, they worshiped idols made to look like mere people and birds and animals and reptiles.

24 So God abandoned them to do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other’s bodies. 25 They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen. 26 That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. 27 And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved.

28 Since they thought it foolish to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their foolish thinking and let them do things that should never be done. 29 Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, quarreling, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. 30 They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They invent new ways of sinning, and they disobey their parents. 31 They refuse to understand, break their promises, are heartless, and have no mercy. 32 They know God’s justice requires that those who do these things deserve to die, yet they do them anyway. Worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too.

God’s Judgment of Sin
    2 You may think you can condemn such people, but you are just as bad, and you have no excuse! When you say they are wicked and should be punished, you are condemning yourself, for you who judge others do these very same things. 2 And we know that God, in his justice, will punish anyone who does such things. 3 Since you judge others for doing these things, why do you think you can avoid God’s judgment when you do the same things? 4 Don’t you see how wonderfully kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you? Does this mean nothing to you? Can’t you see that his kindness is intended to turn you from your sin?

5 But because you are stubborn and refuse to turn from your sin, you are storing up terrible punishment for yourself. For a day of anger is coming, when God’s righteous judgment will be revealed. 6 He will judge everyone according to what they have done. 7 He will give eternal life to those who keep on doing good, seeking after the glory and honor and immortality that God offers. 8 But he will pour out his anger and wrath on those who live for themselves, who refuse to obey the truth and instead live lives of wickedness. 9 There will be trouble and calamity for everyone who keeps on doing what is evil—for the Jew first and also for the Gentile.[c] 10 But there will be glory and honor and peace from God for all who do good—for the Jew first and also for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism.

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Could any of you guys make up a new religion and write a book outlining how people should behave?

5. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    "Don't be *******s. The end."

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you look at the core beliefs and practices of each as a whole, that's ultimately the only conclusion that can be reached. To believe and debate that non-religious society can be as moral as a religious based society, one has to assume that humanity is basically good and that human nature is basically good. Otherwise, where would the "good" foundation be found.

Sure but the catch is that there is no way I could avoid being influenced by Christianity and so it would necessarily be inspired by the word of God. This is similar to what Mohammad did except he was a murdering, child molester with a basic hatred of Christians and that quality came through pretty well.

7. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    well obviously morality is subjective, so being as moral as another society is hard to measure

and humanity's nature as it pertains to the progression of the species is basically good, as it benefits us all

societal standards of morality are passed on to one generation and to the next, and each generation builds upon that foundation, thus its a learned behavior

8. r0scoe

r0scoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm honestly not given that this is a hunting forum. I know not everyone is Phil Robertson or Ted Nugent, but there sure as **** are alot of them

9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only thing sicker than the mind that thought this and then verbalized this parable are his defenders that are justifying him saying it.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seriously, what is your deal? That kind of stuff happens in this society these days. Recently, in Colorado there was a fetus cut out of a woman's womb who did nothing more than respond to an add for baby clothes. His parable is already happening, he's just posing a question for people to ponder. You can like him or hate him, but you certainly are extremely judgemental of everyone.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  11. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Was she an atheist? Because according to Phil she might not even have a basis understand what happened to her is wrong.
    Think about that.

I am very judgmental of a bunch a saps that don't have the fortitude to say what is right.
    Why not be intellectually honest and say..." Hey I like Phil, I like that he is a Christian, I like his show ect ect ...but I can't agree his example."

I find it very hard to believe that most Christians, myself included feel that we have Monopoly on the understanding of right and wrong because of our faith.

12. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think we do have a Monopoly, well I would have to exclude the Catholics I don't believe everything going on in those churches. :beer:

13. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :lol:

14. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I agree those dam Catholics it's been all down hill since Vatican II.

15. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  16. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To Believe or not to Believe in a creator are rights that have been paid for with blood throughout time along with the right of freedom of speech and I would bet that both Phil Robertson and the majority of Atheist in the U.S.A. would agree on that fact.

I believe in god, I do not attend church but that is my right and I will answer for all of my decisions when I leave this life, I am an ex soldier U.S. Army Eighth Infantry, I can tell you this there are a lot of converts when your life is on the line, but still I refuse to judge a man on this I prefer to accept and use my own judgment on whether or not to associate with them by their actions.

17. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think Phil was attempting to use an analogy to prove a point in which he is passionate about. He was exercising his free speech rights in doing so. Many of us on this board agree with him concerning his premise and the point he was trying to make but we may disagree with the manner is which he was trying to do it by the example he was using. He is plain spoken about his beliefs and that turns some people off. I myself would not use that particular example to try to convince someone that atheism is not the path that should be followed. I don't think offending someone in such a crude manner will cause them to listen to what you say or the arguments that you may present. My personal philosophy is "before someone cares what you know they must know that you care". While I think that Phil cares about people he just expresses it in a way that is off-putting and somewhat controversial. While in no way am I comparing Phil to Jesus, Jesus expressed his share of controversial statements during his teachings which ultimately resulted in his being crucified. In an era of political correctness and "enlightened" thinking we are so quick today to "crucify" anyone bold enough to express their Christian faith beliefs. You are labeled as a fanatic, crazy, bible thumper, cult member, intolerant and on and on and on. Phil has a right to express himself the way that he wants, you have the right not to listen. His statements are probably having the intended effect by creating conversation about the topic he wanted to draw attention to, just look at how many posts have been made here.