Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Permit for crossbow

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by Bender#15, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Bender#15

Bender#15 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How long does it take to get these back? I just currently had Tommy John surgery on my elbow and will not be allowed to shoot my Pse for this season :cry: I have been given a crossbow by a buddy as a cheer up present. Ha it worked alittle, until I heard I might not have time to get the permit back in time for Oct 1. What do you guys think?

2. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Regulations may be different where you are at but here in KS its as simple as showing a doctors note at the parks office. They give you a sheet to fill out they call your doctor to verify and your done. I think it took my dad 3 days from start to finish and only because the doctor didn't call back till the third day. Hopefully you have similar procedure where you are at.

3. TenPointed

TenPointed Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here in Michigan you walk into Walmart and ask for a crossbow stamp. they're free. You might even get lucky and find an employee that knows how to run the printer.

4. blugrass

blugrass Newb

Dislikes Received:
    crossbow permit

Here in Mo, you get a doctor to sign an application for the permit based on injury, inability or whatever medical reason. The permit is good for one year or five years, depending on his review of your case. You then send the app to the conservation dept for the permit. So far I've waited for five weeks for my permit. Nothing yet.

5. bslayer

bslayer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    in Arkansas it is as easy as purchasing a hunting licence. no permit required for crossbows.

6. NebraskaDeerKilln

NebraskaDeerKilln Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First year in Nebraska that no permit is required. Before it was all dependent on how lazy of a doctor you had to sign the permit.

7. dace

dace Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Bender, I'm new to bow hunting and also had a joint replacement on my left elbow (I don't know what Tommy John Surgery is). It is my understanding that in Ma. your disability has to be permanent. In other words you cannot ever shoot a bow due to injury. If it is just a temporary thing you will not get a crossbow permit. I am in the process of getting my permit. Waiting on a letter from Westboro. My disability is on my left elbow and limits the weight I can put on it. 10-15 lbs is all I can do and the minimum pull you can hunt with is 40lb in Ma. I'll let you know how it goes. If I'm denied I will have to devise some sort of brace to help take the weight of the pull for 60lb compound bow.

8. Ky/Jody

Ky/Jody Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does't take any time in Ky.

9. blugrass

blugrass Newb

Dislikes Received:
    crossbow permit.

Still waiting. Dept of Conservation are pretty relaxed here unless they want something from you. I'm not waiting though. I have my doc's handicap permit so I'm huntin.