Perfect food plot.

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Englishman, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Englishman

Englishman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As I'm now actively looking for land I decided to design my perfect food plot. I put these drawings together and are to scale (2mm=1yd). I would like any comments or suggestions good or bad that could possibly make this better. I understand that perfect means different things to different people but I'm wanting to make sure I have covered my bases as much as possible. Everything outside the V will be woods and will be in the middle of 40-60ac with more woods after that and no farm land for at least 1/2 mile in any direction.
    Shape and dimensions
    IMG_3146.JPG
    What will be planted
    IMG_3147.JPG
    40yd shot from tree stands, all tree stands are 10ft in the woods.
    IMG_3148.JPG

2. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How thick is that middle V. If there isn't much of a barrier to make them go around they might just cruise straight through. Other than that I like it.

3. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I assume the middle of the v will be facing north. Where is the mineral site? Are you able to put up a feeder? What trees are you thinking of? Chestnut, persimmon and pear are good choices. Maybe Apple if you can grow them where you are. I might would have one side of the v in clover and chicory and the other side in annuals. This will make the planting easier. When you fertilize, the crops will have different fertilizer needs. As your plan it would be difficult to do with a spreader. I like your design. If I had that the annual side would be disk in the summer and planted with a summer crop. Don't forget about lime to get the ph right. It takes months for it to take full effect.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Englishman

Dislikes Received:
    At the top it's 20yd going down to nothing. I have been looking at it all night and I'm thinking I could put a screen down the inside of the V about 10ft thick. I could also put some on the outside edge and have openings to funnel them.
    image.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Englishman

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure which way it will be facing yet, that will be decided when I have the actual land. I'm not a big fan of having mineral sits on my food plots but I will be having some just inside the woods again to be decided when I have it. I don't use deer feeders and never plan to. As for trees apple, pear and chestnut are a definite I will be looking into when they drop to cover as much of the season as possible.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I refuse to help anyone that uses the metric system. :throw: :lol:

Besides, looks good to me.:tu:
    Chestnut is an interesting choice. Sawtooth oaks are also on my thumbs up list. They're a white oak and grow fast.

7. Englishman

Dislikes Received:
    Scale is now set at 1/16"=1yd
    I read a lot of articles and the chestnut just looks to be a better choice and the fact that it won't be as plentyfull as the acorns could mean more attractive.

CoveyMaster likes this.
  8. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's always good to plan, but I think your plan is kinda over complicated. It's hard to work on those small little spots ( always turning equipment) compared to long narrow strips.

I would think the wooded v with a tree stand would always have does and fawns bedded in it. Be bumping them any time you hunted it.
    My food plots that are in the woods have deer eating in them all times during the day. I find it's best to just to have ground blinds on the downwind sides that you can sneak into without spooking them.

Fruit trees are a great idea. I wish I could have some, but the bears destroy them in my part of the country.

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That stand in the middle is going to be a 1-2 time sit kind of stand. Nothing worse than sitting up in a tree watching the sun set and right at dark you watch a fawn and a doe do the circle and bed down right in the food plot. I don't eat before an afternoon hunt and I have sat hungry and cold watching a fawn laying in a bed of clover munching away. I came within a few seconds of peeing in my camo sitting in a stand that was too close to the food plot, holding it not wanting to spook the does waiting for them to leave. In hindsight I should have just peed off my stand rather than climbing down first.

10. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, I was just kidding about the metric system.

11. Englishman

Dislikes Received:
    I total agree there is a lot going on in such a small space but I don't see any of it as a negative for the deer just harder for me. The turning will be fine I currently have a food plot that is only 40x50yds and my tractor works fine. As for the deer bedding I can see that as been a problem that I can take action by not putting a tree stand there which would then Mack the other 2 stands good because they will be opposite and I'll have the cover to get to them without been seen.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It can actually work to your advantage even if you get busted getting out. Like I said it would be an awesome stand at prime time of the rut for those 1 or 2 sits, if you get busted coming out and the deer start buffering around that stand it can squeeze them over closer to a stand on the either edge of the plot. As long as you have multiple stands getting busted is not always a bad thing.

13. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I now carry a green laser with me just for that. Hit them with the laser and they will leave fast. They have never blown at the laser so far either. After they run off I can get down. Works like a charm.

usmc0317 and Sota like this.
  14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for that tip I am ordering 1 soon. My kids are grown and gone I used to be able to shoot at text to the house and have one of the kids to push them off. I have seriously thought of training one of the dogs to get let out and run to the plot but a laser sounds so much easier.

15. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We use to have an agreement that if someone wasn't back at camp by a certain time someone would ride to there stand. Now we can just text.

16. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They are on eBay for about 5 bucks. Or 10 for 26 bucks. You do have to keep them warm. I have to get it out my pack an hold it in my hand to warm up if it's cold. Only takes a few mins.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You should really start a post about this, this is something many hunters could use I had no idea that a laser was effective.

18. realunlucky

realunlucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'll order up a laser now too

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

19. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Feel free to post on it. Also red doesn't work last all.

20. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting