Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

People will find a reason to complain about anything

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, May 4, 2011.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_bin_laden_geronimo

Seriously?

Could they raise a stink about something less important? This PC stuff is just taking attention away from the real stuff we should should be debating and discussing.

People need to learn to select their battles better.

"It's another attempt to label Native Americans as terrorists," said Paula Antoine of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe in South Dakota.

Give me a break.

Sometimes the perpetual whining our society does makes me sick.

2. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No kidding...like complaining about other people complaining.

3. bigcountry

bigcountry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like the complaining. It entertains me. Bottom line Geronimo lost to a superior force and thats thats.

Only time i ever get offended is when my favorite football team changes thier name to big white honkies. Even, then it makes me chuckle just sayin it.

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Vito you have used that argument before. It's weak.

Starting a national stink regarding a successful military operation that we have been waiting 10 years for is crap. Somehow trying to argue that the code name used is somehow connecting native Americans to terrorists is nothing short of asinine.

Let me ask you this Vito. Do you agree with their claims or not?

5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Well yeah. I mean here we are. A huge achievement for our military and people complain about:

"Osama was not armed we should not of shot him"
    "They should of not thrown his body overboard"
    "They should of used a different code name"
    "We should of brought him to trial"

I'm sure there are more.

It's like getting a new job that doubles your pay and then complaining that the commute is 5 min longer.

6. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, it was a joke...but you sucked me in, now.

I agree with this...""These inappropriate uses of Native American icons and cultures are prevalent throughout our society..."

I believe white people do things without thinking. Then when someone "complains", they say "whats the big deal?" Well, its a big deal to someone. If an American Indian says they don't like the use of the name and it offends them, who am I say it doesn't?

I won't pretend to have walked in another person's shoes. If my race was almost killed off, treated like animals, and then used as mascots and describing terrorists...maybe this would offend me. I can't say for sure.

Let me ask you a question now. Have you ever been called to your children's school, because a fellow student was told your child she couldn't play with her because her skin was too dark, and she suggested other students follow suit, and the student's parents felt there was nothing their child should apologize for?

I'm going to assume no. So, let me tell you how that goes. The pain you see in your child's eyes is something you would not soon forget.

7. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Vito,

Do you have many Native Americans In your state/neighborhood?

8. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, why do you ask?

9. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hahahahaa... "It's another attempt to label Native Americans as terrorists,"

What a complete load of buffalo poop.

People need to get over themselves and move on.

10. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with you camp, just crazy

I do not think we should have shot Bin Liden until he showed us his Birth Cert:)

The man deserved to die period, he would have killed my children and anybody else in a heartbeat becasue we have different values.

The man is dead, the world is better, people just need to relax

11. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Define inappropriate. Anytime someone complains about it that means it is inappropriate? Or when it is actually derogatory? I find the Native American mascot discussion interesting. Should we not use Native American mascots?

The problem is Vito is that when the race card is played too many times, people become habituated to it and that inhibits bringing attention to actual REAL RACISM. What you describe above is REAL RACISM.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  12. bigcountry

bigcountry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Easy partner, it was just a joke.

Your way too serious.

13. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

huh? I was agreeing with you. Just following up on my point mostly.

I do admit this made me a little hot.

14. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious Matt. What happened years ago to the Native Americans was wrong In so many ways but there Isn't a thing I, we, anyone can do about It now. I've dealt with Native Americans allot up where I bear hunt In northern Minnesota. Some not so good situations.

By no means am I a hater of Native Americans. I know a good handful of Native Americans up there that I'd welcome to my home anytime. I asked some of these Native American friends of mine about the names and mascot's with some teams being It was a hot topic on the news a number of years ago at the time. They told me straight out It's an honor to have teams named In something you were part of. That's kinda how I think I would look at It too.

15. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We should have identified Osama with the code name, "George Washington".

16. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking "Jesus"

I'm sure there would be no complaints.

17. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Papa Smurf is my first choice, "Command this is seal team 6, Papa Smurf is down, Repeat Papa Smurf is down"
    [​IMG]

And then we would have pissed off all the little blue people:rant:

18. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Or even codename "Abe Lincoln". Lincoln was shot in the head, Obama was shot in the head.

19. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    wow great thread! i love talking and listening to people on these issues! Great Grandma was 100% Blackfoot Indian and would talk for hours about her take on politcs from both a Native Am and just a an American perspective. i prefer to discuss in person (cant truely "feel" a person's stance over the web) but here goes my best stab...

As far as choosing the nickname i could see folks getting piffed by the fact that the most wanted man in the world was given the name of a Native Am. leader and famous Apache Warrior. I'll bet if you asked those who were upset if they were happy that he was killed they'd say YES.

i dont agree with the naming of sports teams etc. after Native Am. culture but know many Native Am's who do indeed think of it as an honor. not sure the enemy would ever pick up on Geronimo as being bin Laden. so i guess it worked. i also dont feel like the name was chosen with harmful intentions. contradictory as it sounds, i believe if some find it offending thats enough. slipperly slope i guess.

some would say well why dont you name teams after blacks, asians and others? guess i'd ask what name you would use before i'd say i was offended or not. maybe the answer is that blacks and other ethnicities arent org from here so why would you use their name?

bottom line is i dont think you can ever make everyone happy. if the naming was done to honor then say so and trust that you are doing the right thing by standing by your choice. if you are still offended call the team something else (just Washington or just Cleveland and leave out the Redskins/Indians part)

bad stuff Vito, bad stuff. but im sure you and your wife are raising those beautiful children in a loving, caring and teaching enviroment. they know they are loved and the world is an ulgy place at times. what i struggle with is the "why & explaination" how are the parents of that child justifying they not play with kids darker than them? tough one...

20. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Cool Isaiah. My dad for the longest time thought his grandmother was BlackFoot Indian (pretty sure the Blackfoot is a Northwestern/Southern Canadian tribe). Turns out that she was not BlackFoot, yet she was Cherokee. On my mother's side, her grandmother was 1/2 Comanche Indian out of the New Mexico area. A lot of respect for their culture from my family.