Peanut Butter???

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Sticknstringarchery, May 3, 2011.

1. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so I am not sure this is the proper area of the site to talk about peanut butter but, I figured this was the closest place of any on here. If you have read any of my other post you already know last year was my first season hunting period and I hunted both rifle and bow. I heard someone say one time deer love peanut butter so I gave it a shot and good lord did they eat it up. I would put a screw through the lid of large peanut butter jar into a tree then cut the bottom out of the jar. It usually only took a day or two for them to find it and when they did it only took a week or two before they licked it clean and 75% of the time they would tear the jar off the tree. I found jars as far as 70yd away from the tree.

I then started making my own PB licks. I would take a Solo cup lined with wax paper, tie a knot in a rope and insert it knot first into the cup, heat up the PB so it could be poured, pour it into the cup, sit it in the freezer over night and cut the cup and wax paper off the next day. I would then hang it from a tree limb or small three trunk and let them have at it.

The first time I made one I hung it in a tree in the edge of a grown up pasture that is 20yd from our front porch. It took a little over a week for it to be found but they found it and consumed it within a two weeks of me putting it out. It was really nice to look out the window and see a deer licking on it a couple times. I plan on doing this again next season.

Note: Some states do not allow the use of peanut butter as bait due to bears also being attracted heavily to it. I found this out through a Game Warden that I have on speed dial. Some parts of North Carolina, which is were I live and hunt have laws against it so if you decide to use it please contact your local Wild life agent before hand.

Who else if any has used PB and what were your results???

2. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting ! I have never tried it.

3. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    If its legal in your state try it!! It is cheap and attracts them like crazy. I later found out from a wildlife biologist that the oil in the PB gives off a super strong smell that attracts them from pretty far away. He couldn't remember how far out they could smell it. All I know it it works and I will be putting one of my home made licks out in a week or so near my mineral plot area.

4. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Chunky or creamy ? ? :lol:

5. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I guess if its a doe she may like the nutty stuff. Hahaahaha!

I have used both. I bought chunky on accident once, didn't seamed to make a difference.

6. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It seems like if you put it on a tree, many critters could eat it. Did you have problems with coon, squirrels, etc? I think hanging it would be cool, but then it would have to be quite cold out. What time of year did you try this?

7. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I did this from from a couple weeks after opening day on. I think opening day was September 13th so it was around October 1st or so. The first few I did I drilled holes in the bottom and sides I forgot about that. It was a little warm when I started. The first ones I cut an "X" in the lid, put a rope through the "X", tied a knot in the rope and hung them from limbs.

The heat melts the PB and allows it to slowly drain through the holes and makes for a nice little treat. It lasted longer that way too. drilling holes doesn't work after it gets colder though. Thats when I started cutting the bottom out and hanging it on the sides of trees and making the PB licks.

I didn't have and still don't have any cameras but I know it was at least mostly deer because there were hoof tracks all over the ground around and under the trees and branches. I feel certain raccoons and squirrels had their fair share too but, hey wouldn't you sneak into the cookie jar if it was there??

8. Hoyt 'N' It

Hoyt 'N' It Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    interesting idea!

9. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'm gonna try this over the summer and fall to get some pictures.. Thanks for the idears.

10. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    There are other things you can do with it also. If you take a stick and use it to spread it onto the ground (pretty much dipping the stick in the jar and slinging it onto the ground) on your way to your stand near where one has been hung in a tree deer will sometimes pick up on the scent and follow it licking it off the ground. You can also spread a thin layer it onto a stump. This works during the early warmer part of the season as a stump lick. This also worked well. I only did it once and there were once again tracks all around the stump. There were no signs of PB after a couple weeks. So far PB has been a nice little tool to use for me and until it doesn't work I will be using it on a regular basis. I hope it works as well for anyone else who tries it as it has for me.

11. Bowhunter1982

Bowhunter1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The raccoons love it ,the deer not as much.

12. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    So far it has worked well for me. We do not have hardly any raccoons in our area. There isn't even a coon hunter within 30 miles of here. Skunks, squirrels, rabbits, a few turkeys, coyotes, some bobcats, and a few fox. If we do have raccoons they are scarce but, I have had nothing buck good luck with the deer loving PB. Like everything else I am sure there will be mixed result.

Bowhunter1982, have you tried it and if so I am guessing your results were different??

13. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Many years ago my buddies and I used PB. We would spread it on a stump and watch the deer lick it off. It works but everything like PB and it would be gone in a night. Might try a PB lick as you stated and put a camera up to see what happens.

14. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Would like to see some action pics on this topic, put a trail cam over the jar and see what all is hitting it.... May be alot more than just deer tearing your PB up....

15. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    There are some raccoons getting in it some but mostly deer tracks around the stump I did the other day. I don't have a camera and right now can't afford one. I am out of work and a full time student but, as soon as I can come up with a little $ for one that is the next thing on my list to buy. I will then post pictures of what I have in the jar.

16. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    If anyone would like to send me a camera to use I am sure I could come up with the shipping cost. lol. Just joking guys.