Passing deer, educating them, or dumbing them down?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, Nov 18, 2008.

1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you think that a whitetail would go to a "clean" area and not use it's nose or ears as it makes it's way through the area checking for danger? Of course it wouldn't give up on any of it's defences... Nose, ears or sight. I believe once a deer is conditioned it will possess this learned behavior no matter where it is.

2. Hogwire

Hogwire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I got busted by a 5 or 6 year old buck from about 50 yards across a clearing. It was just barely light enough to see him, I couldn't even see his antlers until he turned to leave but I could see his dark colored brow tines. I saw him first and I froze and didn't move a muscle because if he had continued on his way he would have gave me a shot after he walked from my right to left about 40 yards. His buddy had came in first and was oblivious to me. I was in a large post oak about 20' up with several large limbs branching out around me, but because of the lay of the land was only about 10' above his line of sight. I couldn't believe he say me. I was actually trying to hide behind a fairly large limb and was being careful to not let him see my eyes. He walks into the clearing (brushy) about 10' looked up at me and just casually turned and walked back up the trail. He didn't warn his buddy either, the first deer finally looked for him and turned and followed him. The other day I had to hit a little buck, yearling, with a plastic scent container to finally get him to leave and he still didn't. Snorted at me in the dark as I was dismounting my ladder stand. He had been with me since 2:10 pm off and on. At times I would blow my roar call at him and he would just lower his head and shake his antlers. He was a dandy, thought he was bad. Once I snort wheezed at him twice and he didn't even quit feeding. If I see him again I think I will shoot him for being stupid. Of course he might not be so dumb now?? He was a little 8 pts with a busted G# half off with a matching busted drop tine right below it. Saw one just like him a couple of years ago. Would like to see his dad! Dang nervous does are what bother me though, had one under me the other day in a high wind. She was more jumpy than my wife! I was glad to see her go.(the deer) I've been thinkin about puttin prozac in their corn. I live in the middle of Eastern Oklahoma and our deer are pressured pretty bad. The older ones will quickly pick you off if you aren't careful. Most yearlings won't even look up, guess that's why so many of them get killed! Experience is a wonderful teacher. I've worn a scentlok suit for about 4 years, if I do my thing right I usually don't get spotted by the ones I pass. I like to leave something for them to focus their attention on away from me too, like a strategically placed scent wafer or drag rag. Works pretty good if I place it right. lp

3. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think a deer can see up without pysically looking up; their periperal vision if you will. They notice when ANYTHING is out of place, if all they even get is a glance. So I think the "looking up" phenomenon is sometimes because they see something in the periphary and look up to see what it is.

4. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think as long as it doesn't go away snorting, wheezing etc. you got away with it. But if they bust you, I think they definitely have been educated to your spot. Leave it alone for awhile, maybe after a good rain to eliminate any scent & you may be able to hunt there again. I agree w/you buckeye, they do educated to us in the woods. I've experienced that several times when they look at you, but I have been still enough where they just flick their tale & continue walking slowly away, never looking back.

5. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I completely agree Buckeye!! It really pertains to me after gun season Is over, not so much before the gun season. The slightest mistake on my part after the gun season and the deer are out of there like someone lit there ass on fire!! The gun hunting pressure In my area Is nuts and I mean nuts!!