Pass Thru Boyz - TEAM 14

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by JasonOhio2018, Aug 18, 2014.

1. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I may actually make it to the woods this weekend. 15 hour day today and if we work hard tomm. this project may be done by late afternoon. That should free up at least Sat or Sun to hunt, I so need to be in the woods right now just to chill out and relax!!!!

v/r
    Dave S.

2. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You gotta be itchin for some tree time Dave. At least you'll be back up there at the right time of year. Good luck bud.

I think I'm gonna stay home this weekend, get some stuff done. Too hot to hunt, and I can relax before the November madness.

3. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shot one tonight, decent Buck for my area, unfortunaly the shot was a tad.high and far back. My arrow looked OK, good blood all the way down, white fletchings were covered , it wasn't that dark brownish blood it was in the middle bet ween bright and dark. He was almost broadside maybe a hair quartering towards me. I got it on video I'll.upload tomorrow. Really upset about the shot. I practice daily, everything was awesome.tonight and I just didn't make the best shot. I gave him.3 hrs and went about 100 yds blood.was OK in beginning and then down to.drops but I decided to back out until am. I really thought w the amount ofbblood on my arrow I would of had better luck.

4. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck in the morning, I am confident you will find him.

5. WiscoBowHunter

WiscoBowHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any luck this am sparrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    About to go right now, leaves are coming down hard and blowing winds here might make it tough. Never jumped him after 100 -150 yards of tracking last night, but the blood did get pretty hard to find.

Here is a few arrow shots, I passed thru, and there is dirt on the arrow where it buried into the ground. Working on the video.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  7. WiscoBowHunter

Dislikes Received:
    From the looks of the blood color I'm gonna say it was probably a single lung+liver hit but then again I could be wrong.

8. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any updates? Arrow looks pretty good, that's a dead deer, you just have to find him.

9. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a LOT of blood, hope he found em!

10. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    Not a good update team..... I was able to find more blood but it was still just a few drops here and there. Finally came up to a point where I found one spot of good blood where he either stopped, or maybe he blew it out? He back tracked, jumped the fence to the neighbors property and we could only find one spec of blood from there. Now that last good blood spot was extremely thick chunky/slimy. We couldn't find any more blood after the spot over the fence. We eventually just started splitting up looking everywhere but no luck. It comes to a big field where he may have crossed but now we are talking 300 yards + from where I shot him. I was really hoping he would have bedded down by now. It is a real low feeling when you make a bad shot on a deer when you had such a great opportunity. We do have a lot of coyotes in this area, should I go take a listen tonight? Any suggestions be appreciated. I could also take a look first thing in the am.

I slowed down the shot, here it is.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v328/chubutta/Mobile Uploads/Buck Shot.mp4

11. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Watching the video, he did duck just before the arrow hit him. Good chance that deer is dead, just may take 4 to 8 hours for him to die. I would still look, put as much effort into it as possible. If you do not find him, then at least you know you did everything you could.

v/r
    Dave S.

12. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. That deer is dead. Just a matter of finding him.

13. WiscoBowHunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would go listen for the coyotes. From personal experience every deer that has done that mule kick is dead.

14. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks! Hope you still have the chance to find him. It is all part of hunting and I also agree give it 100% and that is all you can do. My buddy shot a buck that he said was a monster he tracked it all the way up till they lost blood the night before and then he called me the next day and we went out where he lost the blood. We did not find anything and my buddy was fixin to toss in the towel when I yelled "Blood". I found 1 little drop then it picked up from there. We got to about 15 yards from the standing corn and the buck stood up and took off running down the edge but would not cut in the corn. I told him I would let him sit but he insisted that we push him. I tracked the blood for a mile along the edge of the corn then the buck cut in the end rows instead of crossing the road. As I was walking the corn row I squatted down and saw the buck laying flat on his side with head down and all. He appeared to be dead. I told my buddy and he started to run to him and I yelled "Stop" but it was to late the buck stood up and took off running again. We stayed on the blood as he left the corn into a standing bean field. As we tracked across the beans a doe stood up in the field. Then all of a sudden I had a buck laying 5 feet in front of me. I told my buddy and he started to run to me. I advised him to stop because the buck was still breathing. We then put the buck down. I see why at that point why he was running to him. What a buck he is! He has 20 score able points and will score around the mid 170's. The sad part is that it was not a great shot but his boy shat at it and clipped a limb and missed the buck. He ran out about 25 yards farther and then my buddy shot him. Here he is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dawg, that's a great buck but you posted that same story and buck 3 weeks ago :lmao:

16. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just showing that it you don't want to give up and I forgot I did. LOL

17. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    I found him! Unfortunately the meat is no good.. 4 days later, and the temps were almost 70 here yesterday. I am extremely shocked that the coyotes didn't find him before me. At 26 years old I still have a lot to experience as a hunter. I am lucky to say that this is a first for me, finding a deer days later with no edible meat. I feel like I can let it go now knowing I did the ethical thing and was finally able to tag this deer. I want to thank you guys for the advice to keep looking for this deer and allowing me to keep my head up through the process! He isn't the biggest around, but a very good deer for my are. He ended up being only 150 yards from last blood. I can't believe we didn't find him the following morning. It really sucks, cause we must have been so close when we were just walking and looking without blood.Here is a few pics. I will get tape on him, I am thinking pry 100ish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    Man that's awesome!!! Glad you got him!! His body looks giant! Is he bloated from being dead so long? Congrats again!

19. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on finding him, I knew that had to be a dead deer. Sucks he had to go to waste.

20. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am glad you found your deer.