Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Paper tuning?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jpringle9696, Nov 22, 2013.

1. jpringle9696

jpringle9696 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So, I got my first bow last year (2012 Bear Legion RTH). I had never even shot a bow before but got dialed in pretty good at 25-30 yards within the first week. I then did some research and decided I 'needed' to get a drop away rest. HAHA. Last years hunting season I was skunked. Struggled to get them in range. This year I shot my first buck ever, and first one with bow!! However I have been reading some threads about paper tuning, and the negative effects of not being properly tuned...(penetration and such) Now, I'm at like 3 inch groups out to 45 yards or so, but wondering how to paper tune? or check for proper tune?! My drop away was installed by a guy at D*ck's Sporting Goods so I'm fairly confident its not perfect...... Any help would be appreciate! :)

new 102.jpg My deer, slightly quartered away, 35 yds.

2. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would leave it alone if your getting 3 inch groups out to 45. Once you start paper tuning and fine tuning you'll have to re sight in and walk back tune and basically go back to square one. But if you wanna paper tune it you can go to your local shop they will help you. Or if you wanna do it at home then set your target block level with with your bow shooting straight in front of you. Then you will have to make a frame or something to hold your paper. We built ours outta cheap pvc pipe and connectors and we buy 100 ft rolls of paper that's 24 inches wide it works great. Then after you do that or build something put it about 6 to 8 feet in front of your block then walk 6 to 8 feet in front of the paper and shoot through it. What you want are perfect bullet holes basically in the paper or as close as you can get consistently. Looking for a perfect hole with 3 perfect vane tares. If your getting a right tare then move the rest that way if left move the rest that way same for up and down if your getting an upward tare or downward tare and can't move the rest any more in that direction then you'll have to move your nocking point.

3. jpringle9696

jpringle9696 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't realize that's all there was to it! Thanks for clarifying it for me!

4. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Doing it correctly can get quite involved. DO NOT adjust rest for a good tear. Set centershot via walk back or french tune method and do not move rest from there. Unless it is up or down to get broadheads with field points.

Tear should be adjusted out by ensuring proper spine, proper grip and yoke.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

5. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh, and it should be done at multiple distances, 3', 6'and 9' work well for me.

6. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    Ok ask any shop or go there you will have to move the rest for a perfect tare I've been bow hunting for 12 years now I paper tune all mine and my friends bows trust me how are you gona get a left or right tare out without moving it just go to a shop you will see how it's done then you can do it yourself after I've paper tuned so many bows 4 alone this season and we are getting 3 inch groups out to 80 yards if not closer it gets tricky but you'll have to move the rest and nocking point for perfect holes.

7. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A simple twist to the tear side of a yoke will take a tear right out. Centershot is way more important than tear in paper. Always adjust centershot with walk back or french tune.

And ive been playing this game over 30 years if that helps. Lol

8. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    If you start twisting the yokes you can create some bad cam lean and throw your ata outta wack any and almist all shops move the rest before twisting the yokes if your cam isnt leaning or anything thats a bad idea you got your paper tuning method done wrong my best friend owns a shop i woukd go to your local shop they will tell you the same thing i am.

9. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rest was adjusted to centershot via french tune. I might have bareshafted this one as well.

[​IMG]

Here is what the easton tune guide says about centering the arrow.

Hope this helps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  10. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What makes paper tuning tough is there are so many things that can cause a tear. Wrong centershot is one. As well as spine, torque and cam lean (reason for yoke tuning)

We must eliminate each variable. The rest can be set correctly without worrying about the other issues by simply adjusting centershot correctly with walkback or french tune.

11. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do we really want to start name dropping. Lol

You're correct about cam lean. Imagine how that paper tune will turn out if you have cam lean by just adjusting rest. Or improper spine or torquing the grip.

Very simple to set centershot via walk back and address the other issues individually as well.

12. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where in the world is a pro shop that even has a clue about yoke tuning and cam lean? The ones around here can't even manage getting center shot adjusted correctly and advise everyone to just shoot expandable heads to compensate for the fact that they don't even have correctly spined arrows. This guy is a Hoyt and Matthews dealer.

13. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is all too common. There are some great shops out there and some not so great shops.

The main issue is they don't have the time to spend on each and every bow getting them "perfect" unless the customer is willing to pay for their time, which they are not.

I spent 2 days (after work) getting the last bow I worked on tuned.(usually takes a couple hours) He had rest issues but didn't have the money to get a new one. I refletched arrows with feathers to help him with some of his issues and got his setup shootable. He also had a spine issue.

I recommended properly spined arrows and a new rest and come back and I would take care of it. Haven't seen him yet and this was a month and a half ago.

I spent a couple hours with him on the 3rd day coaching him on his form and shot which did as much for his shooting as the tuning did. Usually it does more but in this case, his broadheads were controlling his arrow flight and we had no idea where the arrow were going to hit.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  14. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For the op, set the rest to 13/16 measured from the inside of the shelf to center of the arrow for starters.

Then adjust centershot via walk back or french tune. Do a search on the 2 methods. I prefer french tune but I will also throw some walk back into the mix.

I'll go into more detail later when I have time.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  15. crohunter

crohunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  16. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Only me...but I don't shoot though paper anymore. Just bare shaft walk back tuning.

17. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There's a very good chance you have a really good paper tear. Bareshaft and walkback tuning should address every issue you will face as you probably know.

I shoot low poundage as does my son and clean arrow flight is paramount to good penetration.

18. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I lived closer to Henderson, I think I could learn a thing or two from tfox.

19. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where are you