Paper tuning. WTF!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Bryan Jeffrey, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So i just got my bow back from the archery shop. We spent an hour paper tuning it to my new arrows. Got perfect 'bullet holes'. I stop at a friends house to shoot some archery. and at 30 yards i had to adjust my sight all the way right to hit center. oh well right. Ill figure it out when i get home. Im home now. I strip off the vanes on one new arrow to bare shaft tune. but my shaft is hitting way left. walk back tune to 40 yards. and kinda questionable. but i cant seem to prove it is off (it has been 2 weeks sense i shot so hitting a sting at 40 today is out the the question). but something isnt right. im very frustrated. my groupings look like ***. and my bare shaft is way off.
    What do you guys think. i tried the gold tip hunters for arrow. they are a downgrade from my bloodlines in straightness but they are closer to perfect in spine stiffness, and are a little heavier. the guy at the pro shop asured me that i wouldnt notice a difference in arrow flight, but i didnt think about telling him im right around 10-12" groups at 100yrds. I dont know. this is frustrating. maybe i need to shoot for a few days to get back into the swing of it before i start stressing myself out. what do you guys think the issue might be?

2. Tacksman

Tacksman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your frustration. I've been chasing the pin a bit lately. I shoot Gold Tips, those Bloodlines are good yeah? never shot them.

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds to me like the dealer got the bullet hole by adjusting the rest. With an OverDrive Binary you don't have to do this.

Set centershot so that the string is down the middle of the grip. If you measure, it should be roughly 13/16's.

Once done with this, then you yoke tune the bow to bring the cams string track inline with the true centershot. The video shows how to do this on an OverDrive Binary.

Field & Stream's Bow Setup Series - Paper Tune Your Bow - Segment 8 - YouTube

To summarize, once you move rest to center, then shoot through paper. If you have a tail left tear, the you add turns to the left side yokes on the buss cables until you clean it up. You also add right twists for a right tear.

Your shop likely tried to tune it the same way you tune a single cam or hybrid cam. The beauty of the OverDrive Binary is that you can leave the rest in true centershot and tune the yokes to bring the strings path into the same perfect centershot instead of compromising with rest position.

4. JaminWI

JaminWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing that, Rick James. Learned something new. I thought the rest was always moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:

Thank you. I like the shop I go to, but this is the second time the tuned my bow kinda funky. I will fix center shot today

6. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    Im not chasing the pin. haha. my bow just is way out of wack. im working on it between rain storms today though. I like the bloodlines, but i wanted to upgrade to the hexx. the guy at the archery shop talked me into the gold tips, but im really starting to second guess them. ill be going to the hexx next year. but yea. the bloodlines are great. hit Xs all day with them.

BrassMonkey911 likes this.
  7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Paper tuning is great but can you try broadhead tuning? Also just to be sure what is your spine and arrow length? I know you said its good but always good to double check.

8. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  9. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just set your center shot to I believe the Bowtechs call for 13/16 and then if you have a press then shoot a bareshaft at 20 yards and see what happens. If it is hitting left with a nock right then you need to twist your yoke cables even on both top and bottom. You can start by taking a half twist out of one side and then putting a half twist in the other side. This will keep your timing on. For your issue bareshaft left you take a half twist out of left side and put half twist in right. If that isn't enough do another half of full twist. If you get it real close then you can take a half out or put one in one side only. Then you'll have to double check that the cams are back in sync. That's why these Binary overdrives are so sweet you can get them really dialed in.

10. Tacksman

Tacksman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I see you are in Crestline, I'm out here in Ventura. We may be rocking some of the same stomping grounds.

11. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just for grins you don't by chance have a .400 spine arrow you can try do you? Or a 125 grain tip?