Pain....

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Dogfish, Mar 13, 2014.

1. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had more kidney stones than i care to discuss. I've had surgery on a couple that were too big to pass. Some had me on the floor in agony and others have been relatively painless. The strange thing with them is that the shape and texture of the stone has more of an effect on the pain level than the size. Oddly enough I don't drink coffee, tea or soda. I've been told they're a genetic issue.

Sadly though, the stones are a close second in pain level to one of the times I had a stent put in during a surgery. Usually there is a piece of string attached so that they can yank it out of your crank like they're starting a lawn mower. The good Dr. didn't put a piece of string on this stent though. So, with no drugs I sat on a table as he and a nurse stuck some contraption in me, up to my kidney to find the stent and then pull it out. It was barbaric. I'll take a stone any day over that.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  2. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Probably not as bad as what a lot of you have been through, but the Shingles, especially on my head, was no walk in the park. Immense pain for about a month, moderate pain for another month, and 8 months later, still a manageable but chronic discomfort.

3. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This thread is painful to read! ..... Dang Guys! Ouch!

4. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have had kidney stones, three times and they really suck.

My worst pain was when I was mugged in England, jaw broke in 6 places, both cheek bones broken, nose shattered and a detached retina and three broken ribs.

I can tell you socialized medicine is a barbaric joke.

Not sure if its the pain was so bad and it was, I know exactly when my and how my jaw broke, or if I just remembered it for years in nightmares.

5. Buckeye1979

Buckeye1979 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say trying to pass kidney stones but can't then get the shock treatment done and and stent installed passing the kidney stones then having the stent removed while conscious... That sucked!!! Or breaking my forearm in 3 spots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Two herniated disc's in my neck. Ended up having surgery to correct it.

7. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    At first I was going to say my shoulder dislocations... I've dislocated my left twice and my right once. But after thinking about it, probably my most intense pain came from a bad motorcycle burn... To cut down on the scaring the Dr scraped the wound with something to clear out the scare tissue - man that hurt!

8. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Day after nasty rotator cuff surgery before taking pain meds, I was in tears!!

9. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

10. alexjoelslaydon

alexjoelslaydon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I stepped on a lego

11. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great. I've been trying to avoid a double for some time now...

12. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Kidney Stones are no joke according to my wife, she gets them once or twice a year and keeps our medicine cabinet full of Norco and Hydrocodone. All you guys that have had them hats off to you, my wife has a ridiculous pain tollerence and those things knock her down hard.

For me the list is long,

Broken orbital bone from upper outer left eye across bottom of eye socket and through nose into the lower right eye socket. A BMX bike racing accident from getting speared in the eye socket with the end of a handlebar.

Purple and Black sack for almost two months from getting hit in the jimmy in a BMX crash, the initial pain was horrid and I puked.

My last National BMX race saw me getting speared in the stomach during practice. Luckily the race was in Indiana and I drove there separate from my family. After not being able to hold down food for a week and not having any bowl movements we found out I had hemorrhaging in my intestines and blood clotting my passage.

Tar Burn from driveway sealer when I was 12 or so. I was using a brush to get the side of the driveway and my arms and legs got covered in the stuff. Next day I got sent out to weed the garden and I felt like my skin was on fire so I jumped into the pool. After getting out the same thing happened. Spent a couple of weeks sleeping with fans and wet rags on my arms and legs while slathering a cream on it. Couldn't let my skin see sun for almost 3 months but after a couple of weeks got used to feeling like my skin was burnt.

I've had several broken toes and they just suck. Also had surgery for hangnails on my toes where they remove the whole nail and that sucked. so now I just remove the hangnails myself.

Fractured my elbow doing some landscaping at home. Never went to the doctor and it never healed right, the doctor gave me the option to re-break it so I can straighten my arm but not sure I want the downtime.

I also tore my shoulder from maxing out on the bench at the gym twice in my life, that hurts like hell.

Fractured ribs from BMX were also pretty bad, every breath hurts and sleeping is almost impossible.

Broken tailbones also suck, had one from snowboarding and one from a BMX crash. Sitting on the toilet is excruciating, sleeping almost impossible and sitting in a chair with a pillow still hurts like all hell.

Getting shot in the back with a .22, stepping on multiple nails, cutting fingers, broken fingers, concussions and broken noses have never been that bad. I honestly hope I never get kidney stones because they scare the heck out of me, again props to you guys that have been through it.

13. AJBowhunter

AJBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A dumbass women merged into the back wheel of my bike on the freeway, and it was right in front of a "No U-Turn" spot. The bike hit the median first, then I skipped across the pavement for 40 yards then hit the bike. Broken femur, left wrist, 6 ribs, dislocated left shoulder and road rash on my legs, arms, full back, and chest. One of the ribs punctured my right lung. Hospital for 1.5 months. I was in so much pain, it still felt like it was hit by a dumbass after they gave me meds. My sister wonder why I don't let them drive my stuff.

14. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The steering broke while mountain biking, flew 12 feet, landed on big rocks, and lost a cubic inch of tissue on my elbow. That and breaking my tail bone.

15. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Several years ago I was covering my Jon Boat for the winter. I was pulling on a bungee cord from the front of the boat to the rear when it gave way and smacked me dead center under my left eye. Let me tell you that was pain, and wow how it bruised up fast.....I've broke my foot, left thumb twice, had wisdom teeth pulled.... Hit a tree head on in a vehicle and all that pain together didn't equal this pain lol

<+>< Ps 46:1 ><+>

Twitter: @Four_Free

16. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What a bunch of Nancy's, this is my ex!

[​IMG]

17. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot the pain that was involved when I sliced my cornea from corner to corner from a thumbnail. Now that sucked bad. I was pretty much completely blind in both eyes and had to stop my truck and have someone pick me up to go to hospital.

18. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Right after the service I worked in an iron foundry. One of the pig molds blew up while I was pouring liquid iron into it. Some of the liquid drops of molten iron found their way into my full coverage face mask, bounced around a little. One of the little buggers slipped down into the front of my leather apron, burned a hole through my trousers and quenched itself on the head of my tallywhacker where I had to peal it off with tweazers. My wife carried the piece of iron splatter around in her wallet for several years before she lost it. (it amused her...). Kidney stones are much worse.

19. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Compared to a lot of you I've lived a relatively pain free life, I've broken a pinky and broken a wrist on seperate occasions. I've woken up in a hospital with subdural hematoma and a host of fluids running into my body, including a catheter for the fluids coming out. I've had metal and rock shrapnel enter my body and cut my face up along with a blast that gave me another concussion. I'll be damned if the thought of kidney stones doesn't terrify me, that just sounds horrible.

20. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Worst was a second degree burn covering the back of my right hand. There was a blister the size of an apple on it. Burns have to be the worst but I've never had a kidney stone.

Then there were the first 5 days of recovery after my first brain surgery. Not quite as bad as the burn. What made it so bad was it was constant pain with no let up. The second surgery wasn't quite so bad.

I wouldn't trade my pains for some that have been described so far though. I guess no matter how bad it is someone else has it worse than we do.