PA... Short season and no Sunday hunting SUCKS

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by alfarah50, Nov 9, 2017.

1. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Holdover from the old Blue Laws.

2. Bubby D

Bubby D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    PA is a disappointment. The Rut is coming into full swing right now and no hunting. They are stuck in their ways. Don't worry in 3 weeks everybody in the statewill be out with high powered rifles looking for a 3 pt. Then they will tell you deer numbers are low and there are no big bucks. Then in 4 weeks you may take a doe if you mailed in an app 4 months ago in your pretty pink envelope that my dad used when he was a kid. By that point every inch of woods is pressured so they start driving. There is no late archery season here.

3. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    PA hunting isn't the best. Honestly, if my husband didn't work out of state - we'd probably have a lease in Ohio and not hunt PA. But, we hunt what we are given....and this year it was a bunch of nothing. It stinks...and major frustrating. But, I'm sure we all (as hunters) can think of a million ways to improve it. Not close down archery season during prime time (why close it two weeks prior to gun season?), restrictions on crossbows (yes, I am one of those people.), and Sunday hunting. The best thing the state did for our region was a point restriction - and even many don't agree with that.

...and really this didn't go with your topic, but it's my rant about the state.

tc racing, axtell343 and MUDSHARK like this.
  4. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Archery and Muzzleloader opens back up after Christmas for like 2 or 3 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

axtell343 likes this.
  5. RyanW

RyanW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Archery season was a month long when I started hunting, count your blessings.

pick00l likes this.
  6. RyanW

RyanW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And I think you could use your backtag for an archery doe.... but I’m thinking it was one deer a season.....don’t quote me on that one. It’s getting better...Sunday Hunting should start in another 20 years or so.....lol

7. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can only use a buck tag on a Doe during the late flintlock season. I'm pretty sure it's flintlocks only

8. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Could be worse PA guys. Your gun season could open first week of Nov like it does in MN. Next year it will be Nov 3rd.

9. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^ This. I'm amazed some states have any bucks left afterwards.

Since I started going to midwest every year during the rut, I honestly don't care as much about the PA season. Sure I get to hunt big deer in PA on private ground, but the season, depending on weather could be over for me here before you get more than a few sits. This year, it was unreal hot early on, deer weren't moving, and the food sources were helter skelter for me. So it was hard to pin down patterns. I didn't see a mature buck on camera until last week in October, right before leaving for MO.

Now, we're sitting on our thumbs until the Monday after Thanksgiving to hunt deer again (our traditional rifle opener). This is a week after the woods have been stirred up so bad with guys driving sun up to sun down for bears for 4 days straight.

10. MikeK

MikeK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with most of the Pa hunters. The season seems to be too short and gets cut off right at the peak of rut. Someone did a study a few years ago if they would open up Sundays to hunting it could generate the PCG 4.5 - 5 million in profit. And yes they are always crying poor. We're going to have to increase the price of this and that to cover cost. That's BS!!! What happened to all the money they are receiving from lumbering and all the gas well drilling they are allowing to be done on public land and state forest???? Bad enough now you need a separate tag to go pheasant hunting and that cost $26.90 BS on that too! That's off the subject but I have a bird dog that likes to chase them around.

11. RyanW

RyanW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Today, yes you are correct. In the late 80's it was different. I'm certain you could use your backtag for an archery doe....

12. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I see, I misread it.

13. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    this is why hunter are quieting. i have 3 kids 2 have paper routes 1 have football plus work. i also work Saturday (really hate Saturdays the busiest day of the week for me) the only day i would have to fully hunt would be Sundays.

14. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    blue law.

15. MikeK

MikeK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can only use your back tag for flintlock season and no other season.

16. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, that's back when you could kill only ONE DEER per season in Pa, buck or doe. Ahhh, the good old days.

17. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I️ wish they would let you do this with archery

18. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rut is still on in NJ. NJ just started Sunday bow hunting 2 years ago and the season is 5 months in many zones. 3 Buck, 1 per archery season, and unlimited antlerless in many zones.

19. bassmasterjk

bassmasterjk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pa does it right, (never thought id say that) but having the season end in 2nd week of November, when the majority of the breading occurs is a very important. Especially with the large amount of hunters and smaller tracks of land we have in Pa. The hunting has greatly improved in recent years. Antler restrictions, no season during peak breading, I love it! I feel for the weekend hunters with the no Sunday hunting, but personal like it. I don't hunt on the weekends due to increased amount of hunters.

pick00l, Windwalker7 and AshAid like this.
  20. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When you begin seeing less deer movement approaching mid november its likely because the rut (breeding) has peaked...not winding down. Where I hunt in MN this “lockdown” seems to often occur roughly Nov 11-20. After that, activity will often pick up again until around Nov 26.

alfarah50 likes this.