PA pheasants?

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by tc racing, Apr 18, 2015.

1. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was agreeing with the point you made about buying an out of state license. I am also happy with the deer population. the buck movement is better and you actually get a response to calling. yeah, my unit is 1b or 2f I live right on the line and they have now cut back doe tags by 1000 in 1b and 5000 in 2f. I am afraid by letting more does back in the system it will slow daytime buck movements. in my unit we end archery about the 15th of November, like you said right when things are hot.

I agree they do a good job with creating habitat. but my thought was that if you want to hunt a stocked animal (pheasant) you should have to buy a permit to hunt it. it would just offset the cost to buy the birds. I know a guy that shoots about 40 birds a year, he's retired so he goes everyday. take 40 birds times $10-$14 per bird = $400 to $560 of pheasant breasts in his freezer. those breasts in his freezer are compliments of general license holders. I can honestly say the deer meat in my freezer I had to personally pay an extra fee via archery stamp for it. but, deer aren't a stocked animal and I still am footing the bill for an extra tag.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  2. jdstout

jdstout Newb

Dislikes Received:
    PA is in dire need of a game changer in the pheasant management division. I've lived here 4 years now and have seen one pheasant my entire time here. From what I hear they used to be plentiful in the past, now not so much...