PA Mentored Youth Hunting Program

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Mr.O, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My daughter will be 9 by the time season starts, and she really wants to hunt this year (not with a bow quite yet). Am I understanding right, that she can shoot a buck or doe, but if she shoots a doe that I have to sign one of my tags over to her? I just want to be sure that I am reading it right, and didn't know if some of you guys from the Keystone state could help. Thank.

2. AWK08

AWK08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just read that whole mess, and it does look like we are reading that right, but....that does not mean we are comprehending it correctly.
    you know, that grey area purposely built into PA game laws to be deciferred by WCO only, depending on which side of the bed they woke up on that day.

all mentored youths must obtain a permit/CID #,
    the permit includes big game tags for ANTLERED deer and turkey
    no ANTLERLESS tags are issued to youth.
    no big game tags will be issued to youth under 7 at time of application.

it's split into 2 different sections on deer ?

1. under 7 years old = no big game tags issued.
    a mentor can transfer one antlered tag to a mentored youth who was under the age of 7 at the time of application.
    "the tag may not be transferred until after a harvest, but before tagging" < (duuuuh)
    harvest report card marked "taken by youth"

then down below it addresses transferring antlerless tags, but does not list ages +/- 7 yrs. old ? (grey area mentioned above)

2. a mentor can transfer one ANTERLESS tag to a mentored youth
    does that include under 7 ?
    why are antlerless tags not addressed in the section above for under 7 ?

so without having a specific law degree in PA game laws (which is required to decifer their nonsense)
    I would say yes to your question, only antlered tags are issued to those youths 7-12, and one antlerless tag may be transferred from mentor. (good thing your daughter falls into this age group)
    under 7, your using the mentors tags only, both antlered or antlerless ?

good luck !

3. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are reading and comprehending correctly
    I had my son shoot a buck at age 9, from the mentored youth program. If your daugther shots a doe she uses your doe tag. She / you must buy the youth mentored tag for her (buck) $2.70 cant beat it.

GOOD LUCK

4. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yes she has to use your tag for a doe. wish they would do away with mentor program entirely.

5. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, guys. I definitely agree with AWK08...a law degree would help, but still not sure I would completely understand it all.

6. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    this is one example of why im not a fan of it. and I have many more reasons but i'll tell you guys one. my nephew hunted for a few years under the mentor license with my brother with no problems. well he took his hunter ed course and failed the test. now he is very upset he isn't allowed to hunt anymore until he passes it. he is very confused why he could hunt before with no hunter ed class and now he isn't allowed. an 9 yr old with absolutely no training can hunt but a 12 yr old that at least sat through a class can't because he failed the test. he has never been good at taking tests anyways. I would feel more comfortable out in the woods with someone that failed than one that is undereducated. we just told him it was another failure in the system. forgot to mention that mentor as well as youth hunters have to be with an adult at all times.

I think that the mentor and the child should have to attend a class together. And the adult should have to prove a hunter ed card as well as a mentor ed card to prove he is an educated hunter not just a bar fly that turned 18 and bought a license just to take his kid out.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015