Ozone and Sitka

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by TheFitHunter, Jan 4, 2020.

1. TheFitHunter

TheFitHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone here use ozone on their sitka products? I took a plastic tote and cut some ventilation holes on the sides and fashioned a way to hang my ozonics from the top when the lid is closed. If specific pieces of clothing are dirty or begin to smell, for example my base layers after a long hike, I will toss them in for 2 minutes or so on either side and it helps a lot rather than a whole wash after every hunt. However I have heard some very negative things regarding sitka being exposed to ozone, any opinions on this? I have not experienced any issues yet but wanted to get more input before I continued to do so.

2. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I run first lite base layers and sitka outer layers.. specifically the stratus and fanatic lines. I put them in a tote with an amazon ozone generator. I have not had any negative consequences yet. The longest I run the generator is 10 minutes. The only thing I have read is if there is any elastic in the clothing, ozone can degrade the elastic. Thats all I really try to watch is anything with elastic. I do think in general it has saved on my clothing because I am washing it a lot less.

Brandon86 and Okiebob like this.
  3. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone done on how long the effects of the ozone generator works?
    The carbon in ScentLoc and Scent Blocker was proven to be worthless by the time you take it home from the store and a residential dryer was not hot enough to recharge. Just wondering if ozone is a short term thing.

4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've ruined a set of base layers and socks using ozone a ozone generator in a tote. The elastic in bottoms and the general stretch in the top. I no longer treat base layers with ozone in a tote, I just hang them up outside after every hunt and put the smoke to them. I too have heard not to treat with ozone my Sitka jacket and pants so I just have a activated charcoal mat in my totes. I do treat my berber fleece and scentlok gear, it seems to be fine.

As far as washing, I bought a washing machine that is specifically for my hunting clothes and it lives out in the garage. I picked up a ozone unit that hooks up to it directly. I no longer have a need for detergent and I havent seen the elastic give out on my base layers or my socks yet. You may think its cost prohibitive but it all pays for itself over a couple years.
    pureWash Pro X2-Detergent-Less Laundry System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XSFFHLC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_GxEeEbSAJTREP

mhouck06 likes this.
  5. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I mainly got the ozone for traveling out of state and not wanting to wash my clothing in a hotel washer on extended trips.. I can't say much about how long it lasts, but I can say that if my clothes start to smell and I put them in the ozone, the smell is gone.. at least to my nose. I have even done this on clothing that smells like smoke from a camp fire and it works great.

Okiebob likes this.
  6. Sharpshoot3r

Sharpshoot3r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use ozone, maybe to much. The under layers where stretched out a bit but not to the point they couldn't not be used. The straps on my overalls did get messed up but again not to the point where it couldn't be used. Try using it on lower intervals, Im no scientist but not using a enough of it could defeat the purpose of using it at all.

7. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I no longer buy Scent Lok or other like garments for my outer wear but I do buy the thin moisture wicking type of base layer from Scent Blocker. Ozone (O3)will quickly turn back to regular oxygen(O2) after a short time but as for de-scenting clothing it has done it's job. The biggest problem with scent control will always be your breath. When used properly and logically in the stand, ozone can really shine in dealing with your breath. I don't really use it in the stand for the purpose of hunting carelessly in regards to being winded, or that I need it to kill deer. I use it more so that I don't educate non-target deer.

8. Nrango

Nrango Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good evening,
    I did a good bit of research on this topic and I realized the thread is from a couple months ago but I figured I would pass on the info and maybe it would generate somewhere where people could see it.
    Question: Can I utilize an ozone bag ( specifically scentlok bag with the OZ500)
    From Sitka:
    "Thanks for reaching out. All our current products are safe to use with Ozone Bags. Anything made before 2018 did have issues with straps and elastic but we have sense made changes to accommodate the use of Ozone. I hope this helps and let us know if you have any other questions."
    Question: Will this the scentlok bag with OZ 500 generator damage elastic and rubber? There was more but it was me rambling

From Scentlok:

"Short doses of ozone at shorter levels is better. I would still be careful with any rubber products. No need to treat your rubber boot anyway - maybe just the inside. Any highly elastic pieces like base layer and suspenders - just be careful. Keep suspenders out and light treat base. And as always, scentcontrol starts with preparation of skin like you are doing. Does that help?"

Hope this helps someone out

Hoytvectrix likes this.
  9. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just tried using a ozone this season with a portable room ozone machine for my jeep and the room I keep my hunting clothes in. I have heard the same cautions about rubber and elastic. However, I do not use a bag, not a machine in my open room or jeep. I cannot tell that it has caused any damage but I have only done it a few times. From what I can tell, damage happens faster, the smaller the container is that is being used to treat clothes. More air circulation around the clothing may prevent or at least slow the damage. That is why I treat in an open room or in the car instead of in a bag.