Over the top versus rear deploy mechanicals

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JHasty, Aug 7, 2018.

1. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys wanting to try some new broad heads this season. I’m try to decide if I want to go with a over the top deploy or a rear deploy style head. I’d like to hear some pros and cons of each and hear/see the results anyone has had using either. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive had good results and bad results with both styles. Honestly the bad results where of my own doing by crowding the shoulder. In my humble opinion its really hard to beat a SpitFire. The original ones with the 1.5 inch cut. The leave a decent ingress cut and a great exiting cut. Rear deploying leave a great opening cut but in some cases dont exit so you need that big opening. The down side being that it takes a little for the blood to make it to the entrance hole, especially if shooting from a stand.

If you have the kinetic energy and make a good shot either will work fine for you. Hope that helps some.

JHasty likes this.
  3. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It depends on your bow setup as well as your arrow configuration. I shoot about a 420 grain arrow from a 345 IBO bow at 63 lbs. and 28.5” draw length.

I have had very good results for on the 100 grain NAP Spitfire Maxx’s with/ Trophy Tip. 5 deer and 2 hogs taken in the past two years. All pass throughs except 1 hog was spined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHasty likes this.
  4. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Used Spitfire for about 15 years. Lost 1 deer when I hit the shoulder blade and had no penetration. Saw that deer 2 weeks later with my arrow still sticking straight out of it's shoulder. FWIW - Shot it with an 80# bow with ACC 3-71 arrows at 18 yards. Neighbor shot it in gun season.

Shot 2 deer with Rage. The first one looked like all the posts of big holes and lots of blood. The second hit a rib going in and had no pass through. Without snow we would of never found that deer. Rage looked like a mangle beer can - broken blades, bend ferrule and missing tip. Threw them away.

After that I learned how to tune my bow and will never use a mechanical again. ONLY a durable, fixed, sharp, made in USA BH on my arrows.

JHasty likes this.
  5. Jay b

Jay b Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've used both and like both. I use grim reapers and g5 dead meats both work very well and leave great blood trails.

JHasty likes this.
  6. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After that I learned how to tune my bow and will never use a mechanical again. ONLY a durable, fixed, sharp, made in USA BH on my arrows.
    This ^^^
    If it’s mechanical, it can malfunction. Check out the SlickTrick line, Magnus or if your buget can handle the, the Iron Wills.
    All of these will fly life field points,,,,,out of a properly tuned bow.

JHasty likes this.
  7. Dropshot2009

Dropshot2009 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote here for the Iron Wills. Just picked up a 3 pack and can't wait to run one through a deer. Shot 2 with swackers, one left a stellar blood trail and the other deer didnt bleed a drop due to no pass through. Went back to Viper Tricks with amazing results and I strongly recommend those but if you can swing it I say give the Iron Wills a go. Just holding them you can feel the quality difference between those and other heads I have shot in the past.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

JHasty likes this.
  8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    For mechanicals my personal preference is the over-the-top style like a Spitfire. I've shot a handful of deer with both the OTT and rear-deploying types and traditionally had better luck with the OTT style. They penetrate nearly as well as a fixed blade provided you don't hit any large bone mass, and leave devastating exit holes and blood trails.

JHasty likes this.
  9. PreacherMan76

PreacherMan76 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I personally shoot rage. I shot muzzy 3 blade 125 for years and thinking about shooting them again.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like over the top, steealheads , viper tricks ect .....I been left scratching my head way too many times of some of things I have seen from rear deploying heads.