Over fertilized food plot fix??

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Sticknstringarchery, May 4, 2011.

1. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I planted a food plot using Evolved Harvest Shot plot that I split in half. I used a soil tester I picked up from a friend. I probed 6 spots in the area and it read 7.5 everywhere. That is perfect for the Shot Plot mix. According to that I didn't use any lime. There is a gap of about 3 feet between the two. I used triple 12. It called for triple 13 but 12 was the closest thing I could find anywhere local. I don't know why I spread the fertilizer this way but, i did. On one side I used a broadcast spreader and hand spread it on the other side. Apparently the broadcast spreader put more out than what it needed. The other side I put just the right amount, so it seams anyways. The hand spread is growing like crazy!! It is dark green and over knee high after 6 weeks. The broadcast side is growing but it is only about 6" high over most of the area. The color is no where near as dark green as the hand spread side either. I am new to planting anything and this is my first attempt at food plots. Is it ruined or can I fix it somehow??

2. buckdeer1

buckdeer1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You might need to do a real soil test as most of the self tests aren't real accurate,put down more fertilizer if you think you put less on that side.If you put less on the good side then all you can do is wait it out.You may have a problem with grass by giving that much nitrogen.