Outserts?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by The Old Man, Jun 11, 2013.

1. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I saw some guy in the pro shop the other day with outserts installed on his arrows. In a quick conversation he told me he used them to keep his arrows from shattering when he misses the target. I may be old school but my first thought was "don't miss so much" but I didn't really dare say that. Anyway, my question is, do any of you use outserts? What are they really for? Are they for target, hunting or both? This is the first time I had ever seen them.

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would have asked him that question! I have never shot them but one of the guys at camp was shooting them and I know at least once maybe twice they pulled off and are now forever stuck inside the targets. Doesn't sound like such a great idea to me.

3. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I have outserts on my arrows. I got them because I use smaller diameter arrows, and I wanted a heavier arrow (especially up front). I think that one arrow was a faulty glue job. One of the arrows I lodged in Sams deer leg at camp came out just fine. Even though his plastic deer leg didn't come out quite as good :lol:

They are definitely different and take a while to get used to, but overall I like them.

4. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    smaller diameter arrow shafts require outserts not inserts. they protect the arrow shaft and give you more foc.

5. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I learn something new every day. Thanks. So now my question, why such small diameter shafts? What are the benefits?

6. BOWDADDY64

BOWDADDY64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well think big hole(broad head) followed by smaller Dia. shaft = less friction, in the air and the deer/target. I have ALOT of Trophy Ridge (discontinued) shafts. they are made this way and have as a bonus a super slick finish on the shaft. It's even hard to get vanes to stick easily lol.
    IMO its not that big a differance, but I will say this all of my deer have been complete blow throughs, like 20+ yards past the deer and into dirt blow thru's.
    And they (TR) are tough as nails, just wish they still made them.

7. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received: