Out of State Whitetail Tags

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Dunn County, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking to get an out of state tag next year for whitetail and I haven't decided where my choice is yet in regards to location. This would be my first time doing this so I am looking for as much information as I can get. That said, I'm hoping to gather information outlining the cost, if an application is needed or if its an over the counter tag purchase (preference points), application deadline dates and anything else of importance for various states.

2. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No deer here in North Dakota so don't waste your time. (GRIN);)

3. ckeith

ckeith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try Illinois if havent before they're otc and the hunting is bad! Alot of friends hunt Kentucky as well but i dont know anything about there!

4. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    North Dakota offers some good hunting for non residents, plus season opens Labor Day weekend, so you may get a crack at a velvet buck.
    Kentucky is supposed to be great. We were lined up to go there last year, until the hurricane came thru and made us change our plans.
    This year, we are trying South Dakota.
    I also know a lot of people from WI who go to Minnesota for the gun hunt, and they always have a blast

5. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can get an over the counter tag in most of the Midwest states. There is a lottery in Iowa but you have to have preference points to draw a archery tag. There is also a draw for Kansas but you can draw the first year. Price on tags are all over the place as well with Iowa being the highest.

6. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any idea on deadlines for all these places? Is there anywhere that lists costs too? If there is such thing as a site that collectively tells deadline dates and cost that would be ideal!

I can easily do MN archery as I am 10 minutes from MN and Houston, County. I really want to get out to another state beyond MN though in The Dakotas, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Kentucky or another recommended state. Although I may not go to a state where preference points is required I would like to start putting in to earn preference points.

7. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  8. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can buy non-resident archery either sex tags OTC in IL. They changed that about 4 years ago and I've got mine OTC since then.

Non-Resident Archery Deer Hunting

9. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    MO is a great place for Non-Residents. $225 for the non-res archery and you can take two deer and two turkey. The other benefit is you can take two bucks: one before gun season and one after gun season, or two bucks after gun season.

IL costs about $480. KS is about $425. IA is over $500 I think. KY sells for a good price at around $200.

10. Trlblzr3

Trlblzr3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You might try Ohio. Only $164 for 1 either sex and 1 antlerless. Best in eastern part of state.

11. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One state not mentioned yet is Indiana.

NR Deer bundle license is OTC and $295. That is for 1 buck and 2 antlerless and covers all season and weapon types.

There is plenty of public ground all over the state, but Southern Indiana has a lot of National forest ground.

12. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    OK's NR OTC deer archery permit is $280, I think. You can add fall turkey to it also. We also have a variety of different habitats to hunt in - transitioning from the wooded hills in the east to the sandy plains in the west...

13. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What is your plan for South Dakota? I am fascinated with non-residents hunting here, I always wonder what part of the state draws them in.

14. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I should've mentioned OH and IN. I'm planning to hunt OH in 2014 and IN in 2015 or vice versa. By 2016 I should be able to draw IA with the preference points. A lot of great hunts to look forward to for sure.