Out of state OH/IN hunt help

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Kfili, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys Im from VA and looking to go to Ohio or Indiana for my first out of state hunt. I am just looking for some help in planning the trip. any suggestions or areas would be great! I am not looking for anyones honeyhole, just trying to get out into a new area with some bigger deer (I havent seen anything over 120 on the hoof). Any general public areas or resources on week/ day-to-day leases would be awesome. Or just any information your willing to share I would appreciate it! Thanks guys

2. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Billy likes to drink soda.
    Ms. Lippy's car is green.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MIHOYT89 and Josh/OH like this.
  3. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks...:confused:

4. FingerMike

FingerMike Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Every year Honda and TRC have a raffle for so many hunters to get a section of there private land. I'm pretty sure they allow 25 hunters and 1 friend if picked have there pick of what ever part of land they want! I like ten miles From Honda and I'll tell you what the bucks hat come out of there are never smaller then 140s and up! It's a few 1,000 acres and they allow roughly 25 people to hunt it! I went to the raffle last year and didn't get in but a friend of mine did and plus your aloud to take 6 deer off the TRC Honda property and it doesn't count toward the Ohio bag limit.! Hope t see ya there

Mike4christ

5. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    O-o My boy lives in Ostrander and is a supervisor at the Honda plant. We sure wish this hunt was as awesome as you make it sound!! Lol
    Kfili, there are plenty of threads with first-hand knowledge/info in other forums if you Google "TRC Honda hunts Ohio". I suggest you do the research before booking a hotel and packing your bags lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. FingerMike

FingerMike Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know when you can take 6 deer and it doesn't count toward your state bag limit that's pretty awesome! Lol

Mike4christ

7. daniel72

daniel72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know this is a older post but if your still looking I've heard and seen some nice bucks get taken from indiana public land last year. They just opened a new public access site for hunting in the last 2 maybe 3 years it's a 35 minute drive south from where I live. I went and shed hunted and marked some good tree stand locations that I'd share since I probably won't get out to it this season. It's a lot of hills and hollers so I'd suggest using a climber as it would be the simplest to set up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Kfili likes this.
  8. Billcollector

Billcollector Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you have purchased an Indiana Deer license you can enter into special "reserve hunt" draws. Some on state property some on military. You can enter all or none but you have to have a license to enter the draw. then you can put a stand anywhere you want and hunt for the days they allow you. www.in.gov/dnr then go to reserve hunts. hope it helps.

9. john_822003@yahoo.com

[email protected] Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You could always try Wayne National Forest in Southeast Ohio. It would be a pretty easy drive from Lynchburg, and you wouldn't have to deal with the headaches of trying to get on private land. Of course, you have to deal with the headaches of public land, and the morons that seem to run amok on it. But with well over 200,000 acres, you shouldn't be too awfully cramped. And I have heard of some nice deer being taken out of Wayne. Definitely bigger than VA. I lived in Hampton Roads for 11 years. The deer down that way were the size of yellow labs.
    Your other, even better option if you don't mind public land, is to take a look at the Ohio DNR website and Google maps and find the various wildlife areas throughout Northeast Ohio. The deer are bigger, and it seems like Northeast Ohio has more hardwoods than Southern Ohio.

Kfili likes this.
  10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Wayne is a zoo, lock your truck.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

overactor and Josh/OH like this.
  11. overactor

overactor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the Dillon Reservoir area there is public hunting there.