Organizing pictures??

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Jake/PA, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just picked up an external this week. I know a lot of you guys save all your trail cam pictures to an external or just to your computer. How are you organizing all those pictures? By year? The location? Certain bucks? Not organizing at all?

2. JamesxCreedx

JamesxCreedx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do all mine by location, then after the year is over they go in a bigger folder for the year. Been doing this for three years and its worked out great. I like going back and seeing the growth.

3. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All the ones I want to keep I just dump into my "Trail Camera" album on photobucket.

4. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We hunt the same farms every year so the location is known when we glance at the picture.

In order for me to keep the picture it must be viable and have quality. I usually end of keeping maybe 200 pics a year.

I use a title and a numerical system from there. Example: Doe01, Doe&Fawn01, Coyote01, etc. I organize these files with each pull and the dates fall into order as uploaded.

I only create a seperate file for the year.

This may not be the best, but it works for me and it does not take me very long to compare pictures. It takes a little bit of time to rename each picture for organization, but 200 over the course of a year I can handle. I keep nothing that is redundant.

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I usually dump most on Photobucket into a trailcam album. With that being said, I do batch process them all with the date and place them into a folder on the computer (use Adobe Bridge for this). After a year or so, I will cull out any of the ones I don't need/want. I don't back this folder up, though as all of the "keepers" will certainly be on my Photobucket account.

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm currently saving them all on my laptop, but I'm looking at getting an external drive this winter.

I only hunt one county, so I have no need to organize by location. If I hunted more places, I'd have county folders (or however I saw fit).

My folders are divided by species. All my files are named by their time stamp YY-MM-DD TIME. If there is a sequence within a min there is a "-1" "-2" added.

For deer I'll add a moniker to indicate certain things like a "b" for a small buck, "B" for a big buck, "f" fawn etc.

So my files sort themselves by time & date alphabetically and might look something like this:

12-08-15 0215-1 B
    12-08-15 0215-2 B
    12-08-16 1225
    12-09-22 2245 f

I'm sure it's not the best way to do it, but it's what my photos have evolved to :tu:

I also keep separate files for specific bucks that get copies of all their photos added to them with the same labels.

7. austin97

austin97 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    mine are on my computer desktop till the season restarts then i put those on an external hard drive. the system goes........
    1. trailcams
    2.trail cams 2013-2014
    3. by date i cheked
    4. names of cams cheked that day
    5. pics

so pics inside a file, inside a file, inside a file, inside a file, file on desktop

8. goldenrectangle

goldenrectangle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use Picassa and then organize by location and date

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2