Opinions please

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by smctitan, May 25, 2012.

1. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Has anybody ever sold anything that they collected growing up in order to buy something now that they would enjoy right now? I grew up collecting baseball cards in the 80's and early 90's. I have box sets as well as valuable cards of players I admired growing up. I also have some pretty valuable cards that I had gotten from my grandparents attic when I was little. I have a few rookie cards (Jim Palmer and Johnny Bench) as well as a '63 Mickey Mantle and a '63 Batting kings featuring Hank Aaron and Willie Mays. I know they are valuable, however I'm not as personally attached to them as I am the cards from when I grew up.

I am very big into kayak fishing and have been doing so out of a sit-in angler I got from a sporting goods store about 5 years ago. I have outgrown it in the amount of features I am looking for, the size is OK. I am looking at the Jackson Coosa for a new purchase, which is $1100. It is a sit on top which would help me (i'm 6'5) and also be useful transporting gear and hunting during duck season, which i cant do with my current one. With house projects and a busy summer planned the only way I can afford it is if I sell some stuff.

My question is, do I sell the more valuable cards in order to buy the kayak? I know there is a risk of them being a lot more valuable 10 years down the road, but that doesn't help me out now. It's risk versus reward and I know I would enjoy the new setup tremendously. I think I could get close to the price of the Coosa and sell my current one so I wouldn't be out of pocket besides the value of the cards.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Sean

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?amsfhh

2. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sell the cards.

Buy the Cuda, not the Coosa.

3. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't know about for a Kayak. You can buy those used cheap.

4. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    I have looked at the entire Jackson line. The Cuda is sweet, but its a little much and I feel it would be overkill for the rivers and lakes i fish in. I like your attitude though, its the direction I'm leaning towards. I just don't want to make any rash decisions.

5. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you are not going to fish any big body of waters, then yeah, the Coosa should work just fine.

But be warned, the Coosa sucks in the wind.

6. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Without looking sold comic books when they were HIGH, and regretted it only for the pleasure of rereading them. Sell a couple of the inexpensive ones and hang on to the more expensive ones for just case emergencies.

Now if there's a high demand for what you selling this could be the right time. If not like I did with my Valiant Comics sold them for $600 bucks then can buy those now for $1.50 now.

Supply-Demand-Needs-Wants...

Valiant Comics re-boot prices are steadily rising for old Valiant Comics......

7. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    I don't foresee any fishing on the Chesapeake Bay with this. That's the only real big body of water near where I am. Primarily rivers (small, medium), recreational lakes and the occasional reservoir. Looking at the Cuda, the carrying capacity is only 25lbs more than the Coosa and its 3 feet longer. I also like the wider platform on the Coosa. I think it'll offer more stability for being a big guy and i'm not too concerned with the speed. I want something that I can still throw in the back of my pickup and strap it down. I appreciate your input though. From reading previous posts I know you do a lot of the same kind of fishing. Do you have a Jackson kayak? Obviously you have experience, just wondering what you lie/dislike about them. I also looked at the Diablo paddlesports Chubacabra, but that would be an extra $1000 outfitted the way I want it.

Thanks Hooker.

8. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    I am actually considering selling a couple of the more valuable ones. As I mentioned, they don't have as much emotional value to me because I didn't personally collect them and I didn't watch those players growing up. I'm hoping to keep the box sets and a few of the newer ones to pass down to my kids and let them enjoy them/sell them or whatever they choose to do. I can't re-read baseball cards and they have been just sitting in my parents basement. Thanks for the response, i'm just trying to weigh all options and comments before doing such a thing.

9. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have a Jackson...yet. I plan on buying the Cuda very soon. Like Hopefully next month.

I have a friend that has the Cuda and the Coosa though, so I've tried both out. He uses the Coosa for the small bayous and rivers down here, and the Cuda for the larger rivers and lakes. Both have their pros and cons. The Coosa is designed for smaller bodies of water and is definitely more agile/maneuverable. The Cuda tracks better and has more speed. Just need to figure out which one works best for you. Both are fantastic kayaks though.

10. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What has more "emotional value" ? The cards or fishng on the kayak you want? Once you figure that out the decision should be easy.

11. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Save two of the more valuable ones for the kids...I bought one of my nephews a $500 Dollar Bill a couple a years ago..The little idiot. Held on to it for a couple a months and spent it...

Bought a $500 dollar Bill for my niece Wedding Present she got married This past Saturday...I wish them well and she placed it in a bank safety deposit box for her future kids.

Smart kid don't know I got her another one...shhh it's a surprise.

download.jpg

12. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did you collect them to make money or have memories
    Can you still have those memories without them

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

13. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sell the cards. Although probably not one of the best times to be doing so.

14. Chris Miles

Chris Miles Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get the Yak. You'll get years of satisfaction compared to some boxes gathering dust that your kids will cash in when your six feet under with a termite chewing on your pickle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate all the input. I'm gonna take the cards up to a card shop this weekend to at least see what I'm being offered for some of them. If its a reasonable offer and gets me close to the kayak I'm probably going to pull the trigger. If he offers me half of what I think they're worth (not retail- I understand he's gotta make money too) then I'll pass and just wait slowly for the savings to add up.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?m0dm25

16. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can fish Liberty and Prettyboy with your canoe> LOL I lived in Ellicott City for 25 years. I left in 2007. Sell the damn cards and enjoy life. You're getting too old to be tied down with a couple baseball cards. LOL If you were where I am you could be fishing a lot of water and playing in a lot of white water with that Kayak

Yes I have sold something I collected. It was called equity. LOL

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  17. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tried out the Coosa once when I was planning to buy one. Loved the idea of the storage compartments, adjustable seat, etc. Took it for a test drive and ended up taking a bath in the river. Decided to stick with my native. Moral of the story....definitely try to test one out before you buy.

I love my Native Ultimate....most stable kayak I've ever been in. Its a sit-in though.

18. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is funny! We are fixing to knock down our garage to build a new one and I got all my cards out. I see the same result but not as many that are valuable enough for me to keep. It is a tough thing to sell unless you just sell the good ones. I want to get rid of mine in one bulk load! My cards are mainly all football with some baseball but not many.

19. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    I like your attitude David! I fish prettyboy but on my buddy's boat because he had the license for those reservoirs. I use my kayak anywhere from Centennial to the Manocacy in Frederick. Where in Ellicott City where you? I grew up there (Centennial HS) and still live in the area.

Thanks to everyone who commented.

Sean

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?uhalkn

20. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    Best of luck to you Dawg. I've spent the last two weekends refinishing our 16'X18' deck and feel like I deserve to treat myself. If I get a good offer, consider them sold.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pvbes3