Opinions/advice on a hunting bow for my thirteen year old

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Mukwonago19, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Mukwonago19

Mukwonago19 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone- Just joined this forum, and love it! One of the reasons that I joined, is because my thirteen year old son has expressed interest in bow hunting. He has shot archery for his school for two years, and wants to get a bow for hunting. He actually got me to dust off my Mathews and start shooting again (Never realized how much I missed it until now.). I have been doing some research online, but would like to know what bow(s) you would recommend that he try out, and what your son or daughter shoot. Pros and cons? Release, rest, sight recommendations? I will take him to the local archery shop, but want to walk in with as much info as possible. I'm totally stoked about starting this adventure with him. Any info/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks-

2. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mission has a great line of bows that are really adjustable as your son grows.

3. Mukwonago19

Mukwonago19 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was looking at that line yesterday, and was leaning toward the Hype, or the Hype DT, I couldn't find any for sale online, anywhere. Do they still make it, or is it not out yet? I thought it came out in 2015.

4. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When it comes to bows. The best bow is what fits you/son. You have to like it to have confidence in it. I mention Mission because I have one now and have looked at them for my nieces. Very adjustable poundage and draw length. So it will grow with your son. As far as accessories go. Start with simplicity. Less things to worry about at first. Such as a Whisker Biscuit for a rest. 3 pin sight. A release with a buckle for a wrist strap, not Velcro. Others will chime in here to gladly help out. You picked a great site to join. There's lots of options you just have to go with what you like and feel comfortable with. Confidence in your rig is the most important aspect!

5. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mission Craze....

6. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    x2 for best fit. That being said, Bear makes excellent youth models that have tons of adjustability to stay with them as they grow. For the money they make some of the best bows out there and their youth models are every bit as good as their regular bows. Take a look at the Bear Apprentice III

7. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My son is 13 and shoots a Bear Outbreak. He has had it for two years, going on three. He started out at a 23 inch draw lenght and 30 pound draw weight. We just bumped him up another notch. He is now at 25 DL and 38 DL. His bow will go up to 30"/70#.

The Outbreak has been replaced by the Cruzer. The only real change they made was to the grip.