Online vegetable seeds

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BigPhil_H, Feb 29, 2016.

1. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know this is out of the ordinary, but can you recommend a good place to buy vegetable seeds online? Sure, Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc. has them, but I want some nice hybrids to play around with. The reviews from Farmer Seed and Nursery and Burgees is less than trusting.

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  3. twd000

twd000 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use Johnny Seeds in Maine for a huge variety of seeds, good website and fast shipping. Baker Creek seeds in Missouri has a lot of really cool exotic heirloom and hard to find stuff

4. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I ordered mostly from Johnny's and Harris. For Japanese stuff I ordered from Kitazawa seeds. (Just in case Hooker wants to grow his own shishi-to peppers, mizuna or kabocha. )

I have ordered fruit trees from Gurney's. They were good for the price. (use the 50% off coupon)

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Burgess sucks, I'd rate them like .2 out of 5.

I like Rupp Seed company but they don't do online orders as far as I know. I like Hummert seed just about as well and they may be the cheapest one out there but they are here in MO so freight on a lot of seed all the way to you may suck...dunno.
    Hummert International
    Hard to beat their prices and selection and they've always treated me fair. Used to buy basically solely through them when I used to grow 25 acres of truck patch.

I also like Gurneys but they are a little pricey.

HPS seed is pretty darn great as well: Flower Seed | Vegetable Seed | Wholesale Grower Catalog | Wholesale Seed Company | Horticultural Products & Services | HPS

My choices would be
    1. Hummert
    2. HPS
    3. Rupp Seed (though no online order)
    4. Henry Fields
    5. Park Seed
    6. Gurneys
    7. Burpee Seed
    8. RH Shumways

Really any of these are almost interchangeable in my opinion. Hummert used to have a salesman deliver orders to us free and they tend to be cheapest but I have a pretty high opinion and good history with all of them. I think Rupps may have the best overall quality of products from top to bottom and great packaging but I have no idea why they don't do online orders...(tad pricey too).

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  6. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all, I will take a look around each site tomorrow and decide which one to go with.