one pin sights??????

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by thomas1213, Oct 7, 2013.

1. thomas1213

thomas1213 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been pondering going to a one pin sight, can you guys that shoot them or have shot them give me your honest opinion on them the good and the bad. and what ones you would recommend. Thanks fellow bow hunting brothers in advance.

2. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot an HHA XL-5519. I like mine a lot, but there are def goods and bad in my eyes. I like a single pin because of the lack of clutter in my sight housing in comparison to a 5 or 7 pin sight. On the contrary to the good things about a single pin sight there are things that can be bad as well. I haven't done it myself yet while on a hunt, but I have done it while in a 3D shoot... Forgetting to move your pin to the correct distance that you intend to shoot. Buddy of mine did it the other day while we were in the woods hunting. Had his sight on his 30 yard setting and shot a deer at 15 yards and put the arrow over the back of the deer. Like everything we can and want to buy for our hunting and archery needs, it all comes down to preference in the end.

3. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I made the switch to a MBG ascent ambush and I love it. It's got a bit more to catch on stuff but the sight picture is much more clear and I'm able to practice way out there without needing a ton of pins

4. ckeith

ckeith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also shoot a HHA single pin and love it! I personally like the single pin because i'm bad about using my top pin no matter what the distance. With the single pin i move the slide to the yardage i need. The only bad i've found is you may forget to to slide the pin to where it needs to be. Everywhere so far hasnt offered more than a 30 yard shot so i just leave on the 20 yard mark. But some of the places i will be hunting will offer alot of 50+ yard shots so i'll have to remember to move the pin.

5. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Recently I purchased the VitalX Startrax. It's a single angular pin sight. I love everything about it! I replaced my GWS single pin sight which was a vertical pin. The reason I replaced it was because the GWS was a 0.029 pin and I like the 0.019 a lot better plus the housing on my VitalX is a lot better which gives me the clarity I desire.

As mentioned already there are good and bad things about single pin sights. For me I like them because I hunt in very thick woods and I don't need to shoot over 30 yards. I also like the clarity that you get with only one pin instead of 3 to 5 or even 7. I don't like the possibility of using the wrong pin with a multi-pin sight. My buddy hit a doe last year high in the back because he used the wrong pin. It was totally his fault but definitely something can happen to everyone.

Now with a single pin you may not have enough time to change the distance on a deer that's a closer or further distance than what you have your sight set at. That could be a problem. And also if you do change it to a different distance you must know the exact distance the deer is at and you must know your exact settings.

I prefer a single pin but if it's not for you it's not for you. Everyone has their preferences. It just depends on what will give you the best success and what you're most comfortable with. :tu:

6. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Hogg Father, best great change I ever made.

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I ordered a trophy ridge react-one yesterday from amazon and it's on the way. They have it in both a .019 and a .010 pin but all I saw available was the .019 so went with that. It has the smart pin technology like the react 5 pin. Set first one at 20 and another one at 30 and it sets the rest of them for you out to 100 yards then you label the yardages with the included stickers.

I also have a new rangefinder on the way and will range every shot from now on. Being away from bow hunting for a few years I'm not going to trust my insticts at least for a while. I'll be happy to get rid of the five pins cluttering up my view and the react one is totally tooless adjustment. My current hoyt carbon 5 pin has teeny darned allen wrench heads on each one and they are a PITA.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  8. thomas1213

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the opinions I do like the idea of the larger sight window with no clutter in it. Have any of u used the rangefinder that mounts on your bow.

9. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't but def looks pretty cool. I would rather not have the extra weight on my bow though. And I like having my range finder with a viewfinder to know I'm def ranging what I think I am. I use a Nikon Archers Choice with angle compensation I believe it's only 1X magnification but that's all I need anything else I pull up the binocs

10. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot single pin for over 25yrs. A couple of years ago I thought I might like a multi-pin sight so I bought one. I looked at it a while and ended up never even taking it out of the package. I upgraded to an HHA and never looked back. I really don't think I could ever shoot a multi-pin sight again.

Blessings...........Pastorjim

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4

11. thomas1213

Dislikes Received:
    Jim what hhh do u have the one with the wheel or the one that slides up and down

12. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It has the wheel but if I had it to do over again I would get the one with the slider.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

13. whitetailgeek

whitetailgeek Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have an HHA slider and I love it. I did a custom tape on mine and I have it sighted in 5yrd incriments out to 90 so far. Just for fun.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4

14. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love a one pin sight. As mentioned no clutter,just pick your yardage and put that ONE pin on the target and shoot. Also as mentioned you do have to remember to move your sight but I haven't had a problem with it. I either have time to move it or I already know how far my shot will be. If I don't think I'll have time to adjust it,like when bucks are chasing does and you have no idea when/where a shot will happen or I'm hunting a new spot I leave it on 25 yards since I don't think I've ever shot past 30 yards in the woods. With the speed of todays bows you just hold a tad low or high.90% of the time my sight is sitting on 20 yards though since that's what most of my shots are.

15. Itsapipelinething

Itsapipelinething Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am a die hard one pin man I've shot almost all if them and HHa is probably the best one I've found I'm shooting the alpha react one by trophy ridge with smart pin technology and I like it although it is a little bit heavy but all in all one pin is a great way to get rid of cluster in your peep sight! Plus in low light situations you can use the reticle bcuz the pin is dead in the middle of it so put the circle on your target and send it!! Game over

16. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Montana Black Gold Ascent Ambush......awesome sight...pin is soooo bright and does not halo.....built like a tank....ill have it for a looong time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

17. Bronson

Bronson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the HHA (slider) as well. Will never go back to multiple pins.

18. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    CBE TEK Hybrid One Pin sights are amazing. I have one on my Creed and I love it. It comes with a light and they are very easy to setup. They are built like a tank. The HHA sights are good too. I have one on my Z7 Mag. I like the light for the CBE better.

19. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used a fixed pin sight set for 20 yards. Where I hunt I don't shoot past 30 yards, so with my pin set at 20 yards I aim a couple inches high at 30 yards and a couple inches low at 10 yards. Takes the guesswork out of it. If I shot longer distances I might look into a slider.

20. beaubowhunter

beaubowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to be taking my Axcel Achieve to the woods this year. On the end of it is their X-41 scope. This thing is awesome! Micro adjusting and great to tune. I have a couple of close quarters stands that are well suited for the simplicity of a single pin. I'll post more after using it. I do like it shooting targets too. Good shooting!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

www.axcelsights.com