One more week for MN.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MNKK, Nov 14, 2008.

1. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One more weekend for those big orange birds in the trees to raise hell with their boomsticks. The season ends Sunday for the area we hunt in, then we will be going back out next saturday. I talked to my dad today, he thinks it would be a good idea to give the deer a week or so to relax after the guys went through and cleaned out the property. I agree, plus now I am waiting for my appointment at the VA tuesday, to see what is wrong with my arm. <--It really hurts lately, and I can't hold on to anything with my right hand...This sucks.

I am keeping my spirits up, even though I have only seen ONE frickin' deer this year (practice draw). My dad has seen two, took a shot at one, and missed.
    I am going out to Bwana archery tomorrow, I am going to shoot for a while, just to make sure everything still works, and that my hand/arm isn't being affected by whatever is wrong with it. Plus, my wife will be shooting tomorrow too, i got her to go once this year, and she said that she didn't mind it. Maybe this could be a good thing?!? I hope she still likes it.

2. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thank god the gunners will be done this weekend!!! Grrrrrrrrrrr!

3. Jigglestick

Jigglestick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've gun hunted all my life and after this bow season, if it wasn't for my dad and brothers, I could care less if I gun hunted any more.
    I have the highest respect for the traditions of rifle deer hunters all over the u.s. including our hunters here in MN and I could never wish it away.
    lets put it this way, if my dad and brothers archery hunted, I'd be smiling all the way up the tree.

where do you guys hunt?
    I'm up north of Grand Rapids and Deer River.
    heading to Cook tomorrow with my pa to visit a couple friends at their camp, then it's back to the woods to try to bag a meat deer.

4. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt in Sherburne County. North of the reserve.
    Live in Woodbury. Amongst the snobs.

5. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mean no malice towards the gun hunters. I just can't stand the majority of the gun hunters around my area, 70% of the hunters here feel free to trespass and do what they want. I'm sure It's better hopefully up In your neck of the woods.

I see you said your from the Deer River area, how cool Is that!!?? I go through Deer River many many times on my way north on Hwy 6 to where we bear hunt. I bear hunt about 45 minutes north of Deer River. I live south of St.Cloud about 45 minutes. It's a good 4 to 4.5 hour drive to where I bear hunt. Been going there for many years. The last week or so of October I was up there with a friend of mine doing some grouse and duck hunting and one evening of bow hunting whitetails.

6. Jigglestick

Dislikes Received:
    well I guess if I could wish any of it away, it would be the people who come bombing in with little to no respect 3 weekends a year. they tresspass, poach, encroach and trample everything in their path.
    that I wouldn't miss.

how cool is it you ask?
    well I wouldn't live anywhere else, but it gets tough to make a living from time to time.
    like I told my wife though I'd rather pick **** with the sparrows than live with the uppities in the cement jungle.
    I did that.
    grew up in st.paul, midway.
    went to st.paul central a couple years at st paul avti and I got the hell out of there and never looked back.
    you must bear hunt by northhome?
    good bear area.

7. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    :cool:
    Im working on Concordia Ave, between Lexington Pkwy, and Dale. (Insert scary face smiley here)
    The Old Rondo area if that helps. lol.

8. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya there! Gets real old doesn't It!!?? No one has respect these days.
    I know this much that I'm jealous of anyone that lives In northern Mn. I love It up there, the people seem to be friendly as well. Good folks you are!;) My dad lives In Kelliher Mn, he moved up there about 9 years ago after my parents got divorced. He really likes It. Just like you said the money Is tight but like my dad also said the style of living up there Is much more laid back then It was around home here running a milk hauling business. I know exactly what he's talking about being I bought the business and house from my parents when they went there separate ways. I live out In the country but Its nothing like living out In the country up where you guys are, that's god's country up there, all sorts of stuff to hunt and trap. A perfect place to call home for someone like myself. I hope I can either move up there or move out west In the mountains and enjoy mother nature at her finest when the time comes!
    Not to far from there. I actually hunt north of there on the Wildwood road (East Gemmel Ridge Road). Were just 3 miles or so north of Gemmel on 71. We do our own bear hunting. I've been going up there for 17 years now. My dad 1st started going there back In 1974.

Nice to meet ya Jigglestick!!:cool:

9. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet... MN has our very own thread in this forum.

Schultzy, I used to live in the Sierra Nevadas, only on the CA side. I don't know how far west you are talking, but I was at the Marine base, between Mammoth, and Tahoe. What a freakin' great place. I remember sitting in base housing watching the wild fires come closer, and closer. Watching bears, deer, and coyotes roam the prairies in between the mountain peaks. Sitting on guard duty at the gate, we saw some pretty crazy stuff. I will not be forgetting those things any time soon.
    I have pics of my car (neon SRT-4) that I managed to get stuck in snow, in JUNE!!! I am pretty sure it is the only place around that I could have done that.

10. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Cool stuff there MNKK!!

11. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    good idea about leaving it for a week. our gun season starts this coming weekend, so I'll be one of those orange birds, but I this will be my son's first time out deer hunting, so I'm excited. If it goes well, I'm hoping he'll go for the bowhunting thing as well. Good luck next week.

12. Jigglestick

Dislikes Received:
    just wanted to let you guys know, I hunt as often as I can and if your ever gonna be in the neighborhood, drop a note for a heads up. maybe we could meet for a beer, or a hunt?
    I know some pretty good public properties to harrass.

side note: I missed an eight point today at 120 yards with the 06.
    I caught him out of the corner of my eye crossing the narrow band of water that seperates the island from the main land. couldn't get the drop on him quick enough so I thought I blew it, but then he turned and came sorta cross ways in front of me. I clicked the safe off and lowered the gun on an opening it looked like he was sure to hit. when he did that's when I saw the horns and dropped the crosshairs on his back and let her roll.
    clean miss - got tammit!!
    to my defense, he was hurried in movement and did not stop for me to put the "fine hair" on him, so as friend once said, "fill the air with lead and your heart with hope".
    good news, he'll be back...so will I :uzi:

13. MN/Kyle

MN/Kyle Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Whoa, late to the party.

No more orange army in my woods, this year!

14. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Next year I might have to take you up on that offer and bring the bow up and do some whitetail hunting on some northern Mn state land If your still up for It. We'll fit the beer drinking In there some where.

On a side note. Have you ever been to the Hayslips bar In Talmoon? Oldest bar In Mn!! Have you been to the Timberwolf In Marcel?

15. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    u boys hang in there, i know the frustration, used to live in brooklyn park, college at St cloud. the woods will be your once again=-)

16. MN/Kyle

MN/Kyle Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice...that is where I go:beer: :rock:

17. Jigglestick

Dislikes Received:
    serious schultzy..or anybody else for that matter.
    I have been to hayslips, how about canibal junction?
    been there a couple times.
    never been in the timberwolfe, but I kinda know the guy who owns it, I guess I know his brother really.
    not a big bar fan anymore, as money is tight and I like to spend money on gas in my rig to go hunting, oh, that and licenses:bash:
    can't say I can always go, but given notice, I can usually figure it out.

did I mention I missed another eight pointer yesterday:bash: