Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Once hunting season starts ramping up remember this......

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by virginiashadow, Sep 7, 2022.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you start getting to feel like this yet keep pushing it without becoming grounded again, you are in for a long, not so fun season.

crash-skid.gif

You need to slow down and focus again. Maybe even take a break from the woods.

images.jpeg

2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A couple trips to the duck blind or the crappie hole keeps me grounded. At least you can cut up with friends and laugh and joke. Sometimes the isolation of the deer woods gets to be too much. Its good but sometimes more than we need.

dmax4me, cantexian, rknierim and 3 others like this.
  3. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No doubt! I've hunted a bit less over the last few years and it definitely helps with the grind. Now I just try to time the weather and hunt those "good days" the most. I know some folks are gonna say, can't kill em from the couch...well, can't kill em if your burned out and forget why it was fun and just stay home either.

4. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted long and hard last season. I got tired a few times and said I would take a break, but after two or three days I was right back at it.

I didn’t really get burned out until the end of January.

5. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yep, the older I get, the wiser I hunt .... got 18 days vac. this season in two 9 day stints, also hunt on the regular days off thru the season .... Ill be feeling like a worn out rutting buck ... its the all day sits that are tough, but I'll still do 'em when the conditions/winds are right .. ....

6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Its always been hard for me to get burned out while hunting. I do feel guilt once and awhile thinking about my family and not being there. Just remember when the season is over you don't say to your self " I wish I didn't hunt so much". But I bet a lot of people say " Next year I'm hunting more". Take advantage of the time you have and make the most of it, what ever that may be. Do what it takes to keep passion going for this crazy thing we all call Bowhunting!

7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It usually takes me one day to reset. Lol.

8. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've taken breaks before from hunting, but even them my mind is in the woods. I have a problem, lol

9. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The days of everyday out are gone. I have concentrated hard on comfort while out thus I'm up to 7 enclosed strategic blinds. These added to the many open blinds and stands for fair weather. I don't even worry about the fact I'll fall asleep out there anymore, at least I'm not in the house.
    I'll admit since losing weight, I do not know how all you thin people hunt cold weather, the days of my hunting for hours in sub zero conditions from a cold steel stand are gone! 50's have me freezing now...lol

Shocker99 likes this.
  10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Early season will cause burn out for me. Especially if its hot. I learned long ago I need to chill and wait for good hunting instead of grinding through the entire season. A few sits in September to get my feet wet, 2x the sits in October and then once Halloween gets here I am going every chance I get until my tags are punched!

11. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    there are usually a day or two, esp. if I cant get a good wind direction for where I want to sit, or if I just want a break, I'll go steelhead/salmon fishing till conditions are right or my head is back in it .. ..

12. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My attitude can't be pinned down.
    When I was young, I'd hunt about 60 days a year.
    Now, even though I still can, I don't hit it as hard.
    Now, I go when I "want to", not because I can.
    I don't get burnt out so to speak but I've whittled my acreage down and just know I can't hunt like I used to without impacting movement.

13. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well thats a good problem to have! Id Rather be cold and light that hot and heavy.

dmax4me and oldnotdead like this.
  14. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Really, barely sweat anymore and literally have no under arm odour. Which is strange because in high school I weighed 110#'s and that was a real issue no matter what I did. I should have had stock in baking powder. That was the only thing that helped..

15. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    uhh, I got nuthin' ... ^^^ ................... :jaw: .. :hail:

16. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have trouble with all day sits. They burn me out. I've moved toward sleeping in and hitting the stand at 09-10 if I want to hunt mid day and evening.

Or I just give up mid day and hunt 4hrs in the AM and 4-5 in the afternoon. All depends on the time of year.

As for burning out with number of total days hunting, I have not had that experience. Its hours in a single day that definitely gets me.

dmax4me, 0317 and virginiashadow like this.
  17. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This! VA urban archery opened September 4. As much as I want to hunt and not “waste” time I don’t find it too enjoyable when it’s 80+ outside. I will definitely get a few sits in to knock the rust off but really look forward to Oct. 20 and beyond.

Missed most of last bow season and November due to a freak detached retina and emergency surgery to repair on October 18th.

To say I’m extra pumped for this season would be an understatement. Good lord willing I’ll be off from Oct. 23 to Dec. 7 and I’m definitely gonna burn myself out!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Berwickbuckmaster likes this.
  18. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    the day after an all dayer, I usually sleep in a tad and get out mid morning, I do prefer the mid morning to dark hunts as it is, I am rested, and I get my AM dump out of the way, then I can sit comfortably with out the need to get down and go crap ... it sucks being 'regular' in that regard .. it never fails, that around 8-9am the 'urge' hits ... it sucks ...

19. David524

David524 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    He didn’t even try steering into he skid…

20. David524

David524 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m going the scout more hunt less route this year, I bounced around last year and punched 3 tags in 6 weeks. No wall hangers but the freezer was full!