Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Once a string has stretched...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jgaudiojr, Sep 18, 2024.

1. jgaudiojr

jgaudiojr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have not had my bow tuned since I purchased it in '22. What is the likelihood of OEM Mathews V3X strings/cables stretching overtime? I am not familiar with the materials used to make strings and cables. It appears some materials are more prone to stretch than others. Is this something that should be checked once a year? As needed?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2024
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Go now get the strings and cables replace and the bow tuned. Stock strings suck and 2 years is too long.

jgaudiojr likes this.
  3. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    believe you have BCY 452X material strings
    they should have been "pre stretched" like I think all reputable strings are.

Any tuning issues the average shooter have within 2 years is probably NOT related to the string.
    Enter someone to say the exact opposite of me in 3...2...1........

jgaudiojr likes this.
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How many shots per week does the "average" shooter shoot?

5. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    a string life expectancy according to a string manufacturer whose business it is to make you buy strings says drastically different things
    60x strings says 2,500 shots
    Winners choice say 3 years
    If you shoot 100 arrows a week that's 2,500 shots in 6 months or 3 years with 15,600 shots
    2.5 years and 13,000 shots of difference

If you shoot in prep for season and then hang bow up post season but wax string and make sure it isn't frayed etc. Then a 2 year old bow string SHOULD be fine.

jgaudiojr likes this.
  6. jgaudiojr

Dislikes Received:
  7. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Factory strings can seem to vary pretty wildly IME. You may get one that you can get a solid two or even three years out of it and maybe have to adjust it once or twice after the very first tune, or you may get one that you're lucky to get a year to year and a half out of.
    A decent factory string for me seems to go about a year and a half or so on that first tune ( first tune being after a couple hundred shots to allow it to "settle"), and then after being adjusted back into spec and timed it will go another year or so staying in spec before you find that it is out again. Most of the time, after I see it go out that second time, I just change them.

If specs and cam synch hasn't been checked since new at the beginning of 2022, I'd almost bet it is a bit down on peak poundage and cam synch is probably a bit off. Does it still shoot fixed BH's and field points to the same spot? If fixed is now hitting higher or lower than field points, then it is very likely a sign that cam synch is off due to stretch. Or, if you have a poundage gauge, check to see if it is still hitting peak poundage with the limbs turned all the way in. But be aware that it may originally have been set so it hit 72 lbs, for example, rather than the exact 70 lbs the limbs are rated at. So, unless you know what it was originally after that very first tune, then measuring it now won't do you much good unless it is now only showing like 67 lbs or something.

They can seem to vary pretty wildly, so all I can say is it may or may not be fine. Lol. But I'd say if it still shoots fixed and field points to the same spot, then I'd run with it.

In the future, you can easily check if you take some measurements and jot down notes you can refer back to. After that very first tune, record EXACTLY what axle to axle spec is, what brace height is, and what peak poundage is. (I also like to record what center shot measurement is and what my center of d-loop to center of peep height is.)
    If you later find that fixed and field points aren't hitting together anymore, you will almost certainly find that one or more of the above first three specs is different.

8. jgaudiojr

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks all. Fate took the wheel today and made the decision for me. I went to a 3D shoot and skipped the loading an arrow step. Very upset with myself. String was damaged. Bow is okay and at the shop with a new string and cable on order.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums