On X hunt maps

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by Tink-a-Link, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    New user to on x hunt maps and I'm curious what these numbers mean on the maps. I don't think there is a 200+ ft elevation change between what it shows on the bottom of the map (where the coordinates are) and these points, I could be mistaken but I don't think so. Could someone explain these numbers to me?[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With out seeing the pin that marks the coordinates how would know? I’m any event the numbers are then elevation of the topo line.

3. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is the wider screen cap of the the original. I wasn't using a particular waypoint as the baseline, but that's good to know. I just find it nearly impossible to believe those hills are that big. I'll get a better judgement of them tomorrow when I head out there again.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

4. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That’s just showing distance, like if you dropped two pins [______] apart on the map it’d be 200 feet between them. The elevation lines are 10 feet. So in the first pic you’re looking at two 10’ knobs about 800-1000’ from eachother

5. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Those are contour lines which are showing height. They are that high but that is because your elevation is at 1034 ft or meters based off if you are using imperial or metric. It appears that is the valley where the 1034 is. Contour lines are generally spaced out 10 meters with 50 between the more solid ones. That is on mgrs maps. Onx uses utm as the default. So it could be a different for you. I have never seen them in feet but that’s bc in the military we use maps that use meters because meters is way easier than feet. So that line means it’s 1300 all along the line. The peak is a little higher. Either way the more important part for you to understand is that when contour lines are spaced out so much your relative elevation gain will be minor and easy. When they are bunched together, it will be much more difficult to potentially impassable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trial153 likes this.