On the edge with bowfishing

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by ISiman/OH, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been kicking around the idea of setting up a bowfishing rig for a while, but I just can't seem to want to go through with it. Am I the only one that would rather catch these fish on rod and reel and release them then kill them with a bow? I'm just bringing this up after watching a show about bow fishing big alligator gar in Texas.
    Ok rant over.

2. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Carp in MI are everywhere so might as well shoot em! Most of the time there are people that will buy out fish after we have shoot them for a dollar or two.

3. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have no desire.

4. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kill em all. The reason i bowfish is it puts a bow in my hand throughout the summer shooting something other than stationary paper. With small game seasons all closed in the summer it givese a chance to get out and shoot, stress free. Theres no such thing as a bad shot on a fish. Also, Rod and reel fishing doesnt save our waters and natural game fish from carp or gar... They will destroy it all. Prime example is the Illinois river where i shoot, 9 out of 10fish in the river is an Asian carp, they dont bite lures being a filter feeder, so the only way of removal is bowfishing or commercial netting. Bowfisherman do it for free. I was bowfishing in Sturgeon Bay WI a couple years ago and this shallow bay was full of spawning carp... So i shot a bunch of em and cleared them out and here came a big school of Smallmouth Bass to reclaim their beds. It was a very cool sight to see.