Older lonewolfs

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Lastoneout, Jul 31, 2013.

1. nsimmons

nsimmons Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Neillsville, WI/ Chippewa Falls, WI/ Spooner, WI
    Lastoneout you should take a look at this video looks to be a better method for climbing with sticks. I just got my sticks in today so I will be experimenting as well.
    http://youtu.be/z-fQeTZ_kpM

I hope the link works I'm on my phone

2. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll have to give that a try. The way I do it right now I only have to climb down and hook up my bow and throw my back pack on my back its not all that bad. Just gotta be extra careful not to bang the sticks around or on the Carabiner on your linemans belt.

3. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    looks like your woods are crooked :poke::lol:

I like that camo tape idea :tu:

4. redz

redz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just take mil surplus lashings, & strap my backpack on the backside of the platform, nestled against where the sticks are mounted. During the winter, my coat goes in the other side. When I go to setup, I attach one stick at a time, and when I get to the last one, put on the backpack, throw my bow sling over my shoulder, and climb up to set the stand. Just make sure to keep three points of contact, and attach your tree strap before you step down onto the platform.

5. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah noise is a bit of concern for me even doing it this way since they are dangling below you. The tape should keep them a bit quieter. Are you worried about the tape having scent that the deer can smell? I'm assuming the smell leaves after awhile of being attached to the sticks. I do like the idea.

Also after seeing it again and having the sticks now in my hands they might be a bit awkward for the first stick because they will be touching the ground at least for me until I get on the stick. I'm short!! Haha

6. redz

redz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A linesman's belt is the safest way, but is not practical, because it requires much more noise and movement, when climbing a tree with branches.

7. redz

redz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  8. Lastoneout

Dislikes Received:
    Bro the belt makes it 10x easier

9. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    After watching those videos I am not seeing how going up without a belt makes it easier or quieter. Getting on and off the sticks while going up and down to hang the sticks and having the leaves crunch every time you get off seems to me like would be a heck of a lot more noise and movement than just having the sticks right there with you and knowing your safe with a linesmen belt. A linesmen belt does not make that much noise if your good with it. Sure it's a bit of a hassle when your in a branchy tree but being able to use both your hands helps a ton.

I like how they edited out the part when he was trying to swing the strap around when hanging the treestand only using one hand. My bet is he broke is rule of 3 points on the tree.

I'll stick to using a linesmen belt and not having to go up and down a bunch because I'm safe with hands free.

10. Lastoneout

Dislikes Received:
    Branches aren't even that hard to go around all you gotta do is hug the tree and throw ... I'll take two free hands.

11. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This^ and after 4 trips up and down to hang all the sticks and stand, I'm exhausted, more likely to make a mistake getting in and sweaty to top it off.

With the Muddy sticks I have it's easy enough to just hook two on my Muddy harness and have the stand on my back hang the first and second sticks, climb on the first stick, move the second stick up the tree a bit, then climb up and do the third and fourth and the stand. Climb back down, grab some gear, attach my haul line and up I go.

12. redz

redz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It might be easier if I had a better harness and belt. I tried the first time with just the one that comes with the tree stand, it just wasn't happening for me. After that I just used the up and down method. You're right, attaching the stand with one hand is the trickiest part! ;-)

13. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah get yourself a nice harness makes a huge difference. I have a tree spider micro harness and I like it a lot. I pretty much just throw them harnesses you get with treestands right in the garbage.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  14. Lastoneout

Dislikes Received:
    Ya I got the muddy harness, it's legit.

15. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    How much did you pay for your camo tape? I just picked up some camo cloth tape but it was kinda expensive 5 bucks for 10 feet. I am hoping the two rolls I got will cover my four sticks. I think it will be close.

16. Lastoneout

Dislikes Received:
    $5 and change per roll almost used all of it.

17. Lastoneout

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to bring this up again, but with the model I have with the cleated seat do I have to set the stand with the seat down? Every time I seat it with the seat in the folded up position it is pretty much impossible to fold down. Then if I seated it to the tree with the seat down what would happen if I wanted to fold it back up?