Old technology or New

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by rspecht, Oct 11, 2020.

1. rspecht

rspecht Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I currently shoot a Mathews Legacy that I bought brand new about 18 years ago. With all the new technology in the newer bows should I look to buy a mid to lower range bow or keep shooting my Matthews. I Can’t afford top end bow right now. If I should go new what bows should I test in the $500 or below range. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Why change? If your bow is still in good condition, shoots accurately and hasn't given you any problems, keep it. IMHO, I don't think that going to a new bow will get more game. I have a Bear Whitetail compound bow that is over 40 years old. Got out of the habit of shooting it and need to build up strength to draw it. Goes 45-50-55 DW with 50% letoff. I 'm shooting my son's LH Darton which, for now, fits the bill. BTW, going tomorrow to see if I can find a deer that will stand still for a few seconds.

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still shooting my 13 year old Hoyt Vectrix. If it still shoots well there's no real need to replace it. jmo

4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with above, but will offer a possible scenario.
    I tend to keep a bow for a long time, my previous bow was an Alpine Denali. I had it from the early 2000’s and it was my primary up until 3 or 4 years ago. I found that I was doing maybe a couple 3d shoots a year and rarely shot it until a month before the season besides that. I shot it well and really had no issues with it.
    I finally decided to get a newer bow though, and after I did it rekindled my desire to shoot more. Sometimes having a new toy is needed to ramp up the desire to practice more often.
    So if you find yourself not shooting that often except to prepare for hunting season a bit before it opens, a new bow may help change that.
    Just make sure to research the bows that have everything you want and then go shoot them and choose the one that feels the best.

5. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Remember- The one who dies with the most bows, wins!:bow: I have three if you count my son's bow.

6. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would look at the Diamond line up or Mission line up.. in that price range you can get a ready to hunt package and a damn nice killing machine

7. Point78

Point78 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would look for a decent used bow about 3yrs old. I feel the tech from your legacy...(witch I used to own) and up to about 3yrs ago there was huge improvements. From about 3yrs ago today I feel the improvements have been minor and on the tuning side more than the performance. Just my opinion.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Vabowman likes this.