Ol' Dirty Tarsals - TEAM 27

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by virginiashadow, Aug 18, 2014.

1. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tomorrow morning I'm going where the does are. Hopefully a nice buck comes by. It has been cold and we got about an inch of snow today so they should be moving in the morning.

2. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats....why to get it done!

3. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't see a deer Friday or Saturday! Yesterday I was hunting private land that is enrolled in a government program so it is open to the public. When I got out there nobody was there so I found the spot I wanted to hunt and got set up. Around 3:45(season closed yesterday at 04:55) I see this guy walking the field edge and he turned in the woods and walked 20 yards from me. Finally he saw me and he said "that is my stand over there". The only stand "over there" was a box stand that I assumed was for gun season. This box stand was only about 60 yards from me. So what does the guy do...he continues to go over to the box stand and hunt out of it knowing that I am sitting 60 yards behind him. To me that is just rude but I believe he was either the land owner or a family member and have heard other hunters have had problems with him also. So the grind continues...

4. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well PA season is over for now. We haven't had the best weather and now that it's finally cold, activity is increasing. I'll be back out with a bow once rifle season opens up, so I'll be hunting December 1st until somewhere around January 15th. Plenty of time to get a doe and hopefully a buck. This is when our property will become the go to since we have a good winter food source.

Definitely learned a lot this year in terms of movement on public and the private property I have been hunting for a few years. Hope everyone else is having fun and keep killing!!!

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is rude. That is why I like having my climber with me 100% of the time. I see someone else in area I am hunting, I get out of there. I literally pull up my topo map and start looking at spots that deer would move based on the wind. It aint that hard to accommodate other hunters.

6. PackerFanShootingMathews

PackerFanShootingMathews Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats. I am not looking forward to snow pictures at all!!

7. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't really showed any pictures of the bucks around my house. But this guy has been showing up on all of my cameras and some during day light, that's why I have been pretty selective. He was around last year and after surviving through rifle season, started showing up a lot during the late season. I really have no idea where he could be bedded but I know he's here somewhere.

[​IMG]

8. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, thought I would give the details of my hunt... So I made it out to my stand little after 8 - figured that would push me about as long as I could handle if I was going to sit all day in the snow storm that was going to hit... Saw a few does in the morning and a small buck. Then about 11:00 I had a doe and fawn come into my grove and bed down. ALL afternoon they bedded and browsed/fed in the grove - they bedded as close as 10 yards... Man that was tough - I didn't want to push them out so I had to really time any/all movement, no food or drink, etc - still not sure how I made it. I even pee'd from my stand once when they were bedded at 15 yards...

So around 4 a little buck burst onto the scene and started to chase the doe all around the grove. Then about 4:45 I saw three deer walk on the edge of the grove, then all of a sudden, a couple of more deer walk by (this is probably 60-70 yards) so I knew other deer just 'arrived' .. Then I see my buck starting to chase after that doe... Actually got a trail cam pic as he came into the grove after the doe. 40 yards shot, very slightly quartering to me. Rage Hypodermic really did a number. Honestly I've been a fixed blade guy but decided to give them a shot this year. He made it about 60 yards. Wish I would have gotten to see the blood trail but I waited up in my stand for at least 30-45 minutes and with it snowing, most of it was covered up.

Got to my vehicle and I realized that all my knives were in my elk hunting packs/totes AND I didn't have my camera... Luckily my grandparents live right down the road so I borrowed a knife from Grandpa and camera from Grandma...

Here he comes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  9. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the buck man!

Finally able to get out this weekend. Saw a couple does Saturday afternoon but they didn't come within range. Got rained out Sunday morning but it slowed down enough for me to check cameras. Plenty of does and a couple of older bucks that may not help us out much but I would love to shoot with my bow!

10. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great story SD. Way to stick it out in the snow although falling snow makes for a pretty cool hunt, minus the wind. I've tried using cameras strategically placed where my stands are to get pics before or even at the shot but it has never come together. Really cool you got that photo of him walking to his demise!

11. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    I hardly saw a thing this weekend. Just a couple of does. I am drained. I've been working in this cold all week, hunting all weekend, and have had a cold for the last week. I want to sleep! Need to put a buck down so that is possible!

12. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Dan, I hear you on the sleep. I still want a good buck down this year and have pushed myself to exhaustion. I was going to hunt after minimal sleep today, but decided against it. I have work tonight and do not want to be miserable. This stuff is supposed to be fun! Back at it Thurs and Fri morning!

13. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Don't get me wrong I'm still having a blast. But it's exhausting! It's hard to sleep when you all you can think of is a big buck walking by the stand when your not there!

14. SouthDakotaHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with what you guys are saying... A person can really start to wear down... I was really starting to drag myself - kinda glad my tag is filled - felt like I didn't have a lot of sits left in me....

Still only Nov18th which is obviously prime time yet - things should actually be picking back up by my estimation as the bucks start to head out searching more again... I always try and look at it as 'this' time we wait for is really such a short window - try and hunt as hard as possible - have the rest of the winter/spring to rest :-)

15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck going into the weekend guys. The cold weather and the bucks need to breed again should have them back on their feet!

16. PackerFanShootingMathews

PackerFanShootingMathews Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Probably had my best night in the stand so far tonight. Froze my butt off but had to have a hot doe in the woods because deer were running everywhere. Just no shooters. Back at it tomorrow night and all weekend!

17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Really good next three days to be in the woods. Come on guys put some deer down this weekend!

18. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck fellas. I have a doe tag in my pocket yet so I'll be joining the family for shotgun season on Saturday. I really enjoy the family hunts.

Shed some blood....

19. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    I'm excited for this weekend! My standards have lowered lol. 1st decent buck that walks by me is dead. I need more meat in the freezer!

20. SouthDakotaHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to everyone hunting this weekend!! I'll be thinking of you guys when I'm working - wishing I was right there in the tree with you!! :-)