OK, whats your opinion this one???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Straight Shooter, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lately I have been deliberating over whether or not I am going to continue to invest in carbon clothing ( I have NEVER hunted without it) and whether or not it even works........While I am at it, let me throw this at ya!
    Anybody have an opinion on Chlorophyl pills.? You can buy them from Wal-Mart, GNC etc.... I know they are used in hospitals and nursing homes to help control not only breath and body odor, but to keep down odors from colostomy patients...Anyone tried using them as a scent control measure???

2. cabinkeeper

cabinkeeper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I buy New unused surplus N.B.C (nuke.bio.chem)charcoal lined 2 piece suits(colemans.com)coleman's military surplus in New Jersey.20.00!!!!!!!
    I prefer the British style to American cause they are thinner for early archery.USA type is better for later in rifle season.
    As far as those pills r concerned.I would just carry a bottle of water with baking soda,to wash my mouth out with.Even better thin slices of apples work too.
    I remember a product called ''smooch''I do believe(on internet)Its a camo doctors mask with charcoal layer in it.Google it????
    I do believe there is special gun out there too for our breath? Found nothing on ''smooch''masks,u try?
    ........................Hope this helped! God Bless U and U'rs

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  3. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Give me a break! Use the wind save lots of money!!!!!!!!!!!

4. PAbuck51216

PAbuck51216 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hs tec iv

I have used Scentblocker clothing since their inception and find i get about 5 yrs. life from the carbon. I recently bought Hunters Specialities Tek 4 base layer's and they worked as well as carbon for a fraction of the cost. They have hospital grade colloidal silver fibers in the material that last the life of the garment.The silver kills odor and bacteria through a chemical reaction. Might be something to look into to. Good Luck!

5. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    May I ask how you know you get five years out of Scentblocker do you have a scent meter?

6. Straight Shooter

Dislikes Received:
    No. Never tried it, but I will research it. Thanks!

7. Straight Shooter

Dislikes Received:
    The original question was on Chlorophyll pills........I think the carbon horse is now officially dead. Anybody have any opinions or experiences with Chlorophyll pills?

8. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I started using the pills last year. Not sure if it works but science says it does. You can also get the liquid version for mouth wash. I have used carbon suits in the past and I know they work but I'm now using silver clothing. I also have a British carbon suit that I got off the net still sealed in a plastic bag. I'm keeping it for a rainy day. Why buy a poncho when you can buy a never used carbon suit that will keep you dry for a great price.

9. Straight Shooter

Dislikes Received:
    Where did you get the liquid chlorophyl?

10. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    GNC I believe

11. Straight Shooter

Dislikes Received:
    Cool! Thanks!. Disregard the private message.

12. Wodenson

Wodenson Newb

Dislikes Received:
  13. Straight Shooter

Dislikes Received:
    Great info! Thanks! Do you know how many milligrams a day you are taking?

14. Wodenson

Wodenson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    There is no mg markings on the container but directions say 1 a day

15. quiksilver

quiksilver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No matter how much I've spent on scent masking/elimination, I have never been able to defeat the nose of an adult whitetail.

It's like this: With the proper scent elimination routine, you can cut your body odor down significantly. With that said, it is physically impossible to reduce your odor profile to absolute zero.

In order to achieve pure scent invisibility to the nose of a whitetail, you'll effectively need to get that number RIDICULOUSLY LOW, and IMO, carbon clothing absolutely won't do it. Furthermore, if you're not shaving yourself, taking a pre-hunt shower and slathering yourself in scent killer, you're wasting your money.

If you have the dough to spare, buy it. It may help. Maybe you can get your scent profile down to a threshold where certain deer won't be bothered or upset by your presence. In fairness, it goes without saying that most older deer won't tolerate the scent levels generated by a guy wearing a carbon suit.

Is it a cure-all to human odor? Not a chance.
    Will you still get busted? Absolutely.
    Do you still need to generally hunt the wind? Ignore the wind at your own peril.

I wear a scent suit everytime I hunt, but I surely don't treat it as a necessity. Some guys insist that it's a "must" to hunt mature deer. I respectfully disagree. Personally, I think a top-notch hygiene and anti-bacterial regimen will knock down your odor profile just as much (possible even more than) a scent suit.

If you don't fill your tags, it won't be because you didn't buy a scent suit. When my stuff is dirty, I have no qualms hunting in whatever I have clean - even if it's not carbon impregnated.

Carbon clothing is a hustle, IMO. If your budget is tight, spend your money on anti-microbial underlayers and learn to stay scent-clean. You'll be a lot further ahead that way.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  16. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There is a newer article on the website about getting back to the basics of hunting. The basics being food, cover and wind. I'd check it out. I thought it was good.

17. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So let me get this straight.... you want to take a pill that kills human odor (or at least limits it) but yet there are MANY other scents that will mask or ruin that. Do you wash EVERYTHING in your house in scent free soap. you vehicle has zero scent, your clothes never pick scent up from sweating walking in? S
    Sure we could beat this to death but when it all boils down to whats the most effective (cost & Literally) and its very simple.... WIND! I think the hunting market has been *****D out to all kinds of BS and sometimes we just need to take a few steps back and say.... REALLY?!?

18. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got a set of Hunters Specialities Tek 4 base layer's also , they work pretty darn good , i'm gonna have to get me a bottle of them Chlorophyll pills , sounds like there good for ya regardless

19. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

20. Straight Shooter

Dislikes Received:

OK.....but the question was about chlorophyll..........