Ohio Public land Hunt 1st time any suggestions

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Tim Gow, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Tim Gow

Tim Gow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am from upstate New York, my son and I are planning a DIY hunt in the public land of Ohio, we are concentrating on the southeast part of the state. we have been studying topo maps to try and find some areas to scout going down in late march, any suggestions or tips on areas to hunt, I hear it can get pretty crowed down there. any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Out side of the box option ....hunt public in western NY. I don’t think you will be giving up a thing to Ohio. Less pressure and no NR license fee.

3. JimmyQ

JimmyQ Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Your best bet would probably be Salt Fork state park. It's located in Southeastern Ohio and is over 17,000 acres. It does see a good amount of hunting pressure but most occurs not too far from the road. If you are able and willing to get deeper and off of the beaten path you will find little pressure if any at all. Go where most others don't and it is as if you are hunting on private land. I hunt about 7 miles from the main entrance on a buddy's property but have hunted Salt Fork several times. There is plenty of room to roam and most don't roam out of sight of their truck. Good luck.

4. Tim Gow

Tim Gow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I

Thanks for the info Jimmy, I will definitely check it out, I imagine the rut is the busiest time as far as hunting pressure goes we are thinking on going early in October when the bucks can still be patterned. All depends on how are scouting trip goes, thanks again!!

5. Tim Gow

Tim Gow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I do currently hunt western NY, and with decent success, I guess we are just looking for a new adventure to try some different hunting grounds to see if we can get the job done, we both love the challenge!!

6. JimmyQ

JimmyQ Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sure thing Tim. Let me know if you have any other questions. I will try to help you out if I can.