***Official Team Kansas- Battle of the States thread

Discussion in 'Other Deer Contests' started by CoveyMaster, Aug 5, 2014.

1. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

DucksUnlimitedHunter27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My farmer and I were exchanging texts the other day... Sent me this and said just a few miles up the river. I don't even know what to think. [​IMG]

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know exactly what to think...that I need to change my shorts after seeing that big SOB. Wow, holy smokes...that is a stud and 11/10ths!

3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll second that! :hail:

4. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys, no deer update... But we did have some fun this weekend. Shot 5 limits Sat afternoon and another 21 this morning. Here's the pic from Saturday afternoon:<br />
    <br />
    [​IMG]<br />
    [​IMG]<br/>

5. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet! Beautiful area!

6. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

Dislikes Received:
    Well boys. I was going to hit up some public land this morning and try to stick a doe but I got held up at the library working on my engineering project until about 1 am. Needless to say I'm ready for some tree stand time. Headed south to my place about 2 hours. Monster raxx and corn going out this afternoon. S wind will keep me out until Sunday. Hopefully that North wind will come around a little sooner. I'll grab cameras when I'm out today and post what I see.

[​IMG]

7. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck brother!
    I'm having a hard time getting motivated to go out with lows in the 60's and highs in the 80's.

8. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

Dislikes Received:
    It's now or never. This will be the only time I can hunt my property until October 4. The following weekend I plan to hunt mule deer in western Kansas, and then the weekend following that I should be able to get back one more time. Can't kill them from the couch :)

9. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

Dislikes Received:
    Just left my property. Sweat my d**k off and I drove the corn in. 85 degrees. Put 80 lbs mixed with whitetail magnet and a molasses block at one stand i plan on hunting Sunday and 80 lbs at my feeder... Which was dead. And full of corn. So bad news. Also both cameras had full batteries and no pictures. I think my memory cards need formatting as the cameras wouldn't turn on with the cards in. Bad news 2. Finally my farmer said little movement as it has been too hot. I'm trying to remain optimistic for my hunt Sunday. Supposed to get rain all tomorrow and night with winds switching out of the north. Guess it's time to see how well the monster raxx works. Hopefully get some early morning movement.

10. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

Dislikes Received:
    Wasn't going to hunt this weekend, but they changed up the winds for me. As long as that southern variation stays away I'm going to be in the stand.

Have an exam this morning, after that I have to hit work for an hour before leaving town. The plan is to get to my property by 3:30. If the field isn't muddy I may drop corn off grab the cameras and leave it alone for the night. I'm tempted to walk in and grab the cameras and hunt until dark.

Tonight I'll review the pics coming from my mineral site where they cross the river and my feeder. Most likely I'll start at one of those spots in the morning.

I'll hunt all day but may switch stands for the evening. Hopefully be hunting tonight, all tomorrow, and Sunday morning.

If nothing good is at either I have a good trick up my sleeve and know exactly which spot I'll be hunting. :)

Things are getting cold here this weekend. Bring on the cold weather and kick the big boys up on their feet!!!

Something hits the ground this weekend!

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

11. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

Dislikes Received:
    Saw 30 deer this morning from 7-12. Hunted two different stands. Switched at 9. Got down at 11:30 to pull a camera I put up on the other end of the property that I may hunt tomorrow. 300 pics. Went ahead and set up my lower two climbing sticks for the morning there. Going back to my buddies cabin to look at them. Not sure if I'm hunting tonight. <br />
    <br />
    Of course as I get back to my jeep the farmer next to me starts rolling out his beans. Wish I would have been in the stand another hour. Hopefully good pics on cam but hard to believe there were 300 in less than 24 hours. More to follow<br />
    <br />
    Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk<br/>

12. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone been out seeing any action?

13. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I guess my Kansas trip next week I'll have to show you residents how to get this done :evilgrin:

14. KCArrowSlinger

KCArrowSlinger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've only been out a couple of times a couple weekends ago when the temps dropped. Didn't see a single buck. Saw several does and fawns though. The only doe I had a shot at, that didn't have a fawn with it, "I'm not allowed to shoot" according to my wife. She has named the dang thing Annie. We've followed her on trail cam pics and sightings since she was a fawn. Her left ear is completely split down the middle. Will probably head back out this weekend even though the temps are supposed to be in the 80's. I just need some 'tree' time.

15. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's been a little slow over here in Woodson county. I shot a doe a few weeks ago just to scratch the itch a lil bit. Things should be heating up soon tho. I've got new scrapes and rubs all over the farm and a lot of the mature bucks are showing themselves on camera, although mainly at night. I think the first good cold snap here in the next week or two should be an exciting time to be sitting your best stand. I'll try to post a few pictures later of the new shooters I've got coming around. I've got a few years of history with most of them so I'd love to make a harvest

16. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    Also, I forget the rules of this battle of the states deal, but do I need to post a picture of my doe somewhere?

17. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Just for the main contest if you're on a team, as far as I recall the states competition is buck only.

18. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I harvested a great old doe last Friday. Only decent buck I've seen was a couple nights ago. One of my nice 8 pointers that usually runs with my number one buck came in in good shooting light at 8 yards but I let him walk. I wasn't cherishing the thought of burning my any deer tag on another 8 pointer. Crossbow, my number one, never showed up....

19. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
  20. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    Ok good to know, thanks. Hopefully some horns start hitting the ground soon