OFFICIAL Team 7 Thread

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by SparrowHawk, Apr 4, 2012.

1. mads10bass

mads10bass Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ok so whats my teams plan of attack/equipment?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

2. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome mads10bass!!! Fellow Michigander... What season do you have? Plan of attack here is mainly early morning hunts, I have a good piece of property where I know where the Turkeys roost. I will be filming from a ground blind with a friend. This is the first year I am taking turkey hunting serious. Any tips for evening hunts?

3. mads10bass

Dislikes Received:
    I have may 7th through the 31st im going to try and get out as much as possible. living an hour and 15 from my hunting spot its hard working full time plus being a night shifter. my dads boss has a few hundred acres we can hunt but most of them are open feilds bordered by wood lots and swamp. I have my dad and family scout and I film/call for my dad and fiance first, then hunt the nights myself. I have a new archery setup and camera setup so ground blinds for me. as for afternoon I hunt where I see them headed from food to roost. its worked well for me twice now. my dad actually shot a 10.75" tom at 2pm in the afternoon last year so I usually sit all day if I know the birds are there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

4. NebraskaDeerKilln

NebraskaDeerKilln Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Epic fail for me this morning. I went out to my close to home spot. Didnt bring my blind due to ample cover. I started walking and calling and had two toms running in giving me a gobble every thirty seconds or so. I steped into a pine tree and continued calling. Next thing i know both toms and one hen are five yards out staring right at me. A good five minutes went bye without me being able to draw my bow. They meandered off keeping a close eye on me. Just as they moved out the deer started walking in. It will be the last time i go out without my blind.

5. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Next time Killn, you'll get it done. I'm taking my son and daughter tomorrow with their boom sticks and I'll be carrying my bow. It's my daughter's first real hunt so that will be fun.

6. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    Still sounds like a fantastic hunt Killn, you'll get one next time. My hunting buddy is first up to bat. I'll be filming him as his season starts 2 weeks before mine does. I'm excited as heck to get out even though I'm only filming. I think we may be going out tonight depending on his work schedule.

7. NebraskaDeerKilln

Dislikes Received:
    I get all day friday to myself. So me and that tom will be having yet another get together. Gonna bring my decoy this time for a distraction. Only downside is i travel for a living. Right now im working next to the republican river in western nebraska. So i just get to watch all the struttn toms all day. Tons of tempting fun.

8. Guamhunter

Guamhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In Florida the season ended last weekend with no luck. Saw some but they hung up outside of bow range, easy enough for shotgun but that would be cheating in our case. I'm hoping to close out my hunting season in Georgia which might end on the 15th.

9. mads10bass

Dislikes Received:
    anyone seeing any big birds? Ill be headed out this weekend to do some scouting/planting food plots. Ill hopefully have some pics for you guys

10. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    Went out to film my friend and had few longbeards gobblin off the roost. They headed the other way this am which really screwed us. I think we may have gotten a little to close to one on the roost. We sat for 5 hours and on our way back to the truck we saw a hen spook from over 100 yards away as we were walking a field edge. We decided to lay low and do some calling and sure enough we got a response back from a Tom that was mostly likely with her. We never were able to get him to commit, but I am not sure if we blew our cover or not. We are setting up before sunrise near that roost again tomorrow, hopefully they come my way this time. I have been seeing turkeys everywhere around here lately, they seem very active.

11. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got out a couple times this weekend but didn't have any luck. Saturday we had a couple different Toms gobbling but they just wouldn't close the distance. Yesterday we hunted for 4 hours in the rain, the birds were quiet and the couple times we were able to get on them I think they saw us first. Things start getting pretty busy for me from here on, our season runs through the end of May but its going to be tough to get out much.

12. NebraskaDeerKilln

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. I was trying to get on that big one i have been chasing. The rain helps for stalking. Got on a trail through some heavy woods. Had big boy and and younger tom coming in from the field when a young buck spoiled my hunt again. Always fun but sure isnt helping fill this turkey tag.

13. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:

I am starting to find out just how challenging hunting turkeys with a bow is. I went out Saturday am and Sunday am with my hunting buddy to film him trying to take one with his bow. Saturday am we had a few birds gobble off the roost but at sunrise we realized we were way too close to one of them and most likely he saw us from the roost. On our way out we saw a few in the field but figured with a bow and this early in the season we are better off sneaking out instead of doing any type of stalking. Sunday morning was an amazing hunt, one of the most exciting I've had in a while. We had a ton of Gobblers talking on the roost. Shortly after sunrise my friend says to me "omg there is a tom right there" At first I didn't believe him but when I started to see how shakey he was getting I knew he was for real. This bird came in completely silent and must of seen my friend as he went to draw. I never got to see that tom. We are hunting out of a Primos Ground Vision Max, its a nice blind but with the triangle type windows that are offset it can be very difficult to film out of and also hard to shoot a bow from. I just ordered a Primos Double Bull with the 180 degree window and will have that setup for this weekends hunt. Anyways back to the story, about 9am the Toms are still just going crazy and finally responding and moving in, they get closer and closer, but of course instead of coming into the setup they come behind us through the hardwoods. Our rear windows are shut but I am sitting right next to the one back mesh window and watch the first bird come through, a hen. I knew we were in trouble when I saw that they were already henned up. The second bird was a Jake and then shortly behind him were two big ole toms not 8 yards from me just gobblin like crazy. Man was that a rush, while this was happening we had a deer not 20 yards away who winded us and was snorting like crazy. The toms went about 75 yards out and on top of a cow pasture and strutted and gobbled for the next 20 minutes. You know those hunts where it seems like everything was perfect even though you didn't get to harvest an animal? It was one of those hunts. Good luck to the rest of you, I will check back in this weekend cause I have a good feeling even though I may not have point to add to Team 7`s score, I will have a bird down on film for my buddy.

14. NebraskaDeerKilln

Dislikes Received:
    Its seasons like this one where I always have to remember that it is the hunt. Not the kill. Kind of its not the destination its the adventure getting there type of things. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

15. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    Went out tonight to setup the Primos Double bull I just purchased. The 180 degree window is a nice upgrade. Right as we were about done setting up sure enough Turkeys move through, we laid down and watched 2 Nice toms move through the cow pasture first while 3 jakes waited behind for 15 minutes before moving following. This was the same exact place I saw those toms Sunday am that we couldn't get a shot on. Think they are probably the same birds heading back to their roost? The birds didn't see us, I am pumped for Saturday ams hunt.

16. NebraskaDeerKilln

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck. Might be a while before i get back to the woods.

17. Smoknnca

Smoknnca Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Late check in but gobbler is down

Sorry, I am a really late check in. I shot at one yesterday and missed - underestimated the range. Today he will be dinner. I will post pics as soon as I can.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  18. Smoknnca

Smoknnca Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so started a new job a month ago and haven't been online here or hunting much. I may have been booted from the team but thats ok cuz I got my gobbler after a 2 day cat and mouse game. Sorry but I was in a rush to get home and clean the bird so the photos are not the best. Beard.jpg Field photo.jpg Spurs.jpg

:o The bird weighed about 18 pounds. Sorry I couldn't contribute to the team as I really had no way to do photo of myself with bow and bird in hand. But I want to be on this team for Fall season if you have an opening.

Last edited: May 17, 2012